Summary Report for:
17-3028.00 - Calibration Technologists and Technicians
Execute or adapt procedures and techniques for calibrating measurement devices, by applying knowledge of measurement science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, and electronics, sometimes under the direction of engineering staff. Determine measurement standard suitability for calibrating measurement devices. May perform preventive maintenance on equipment. May perform corrective actions to address identified calibration problems.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Analyze test data to identify defects or determine calibration requirements.
- Attend conferences, workshops, or other training sessions to learn about new tools or methods.
- Calibrate devices by comparing measurements of pressure, temperature, humidity, or other environmental conditions to known standards.
- Conduct calibration tests to determine performance or reliability of mechanical, structural, or electromechanical equipment.
- Develop new calibration methods or techniques based on measurement science, analyses, or calibration requirements.
- Disassemble and reassemble equipment for inspection.
- Draw plans for developing jigs, fixtures, instruments, or other devices.
- Maintain or repair measurement devices or equipment used for calibration testing.
- Operate metalworking machines to fabricate housings, jigs, fittings, or fixtures.
- Order replacement parts for malfunctioning equipment.
- Plan sequences of calibration tests according to equipment specifications and scientific principles.
- Read blueprints, schematics, diagrams, or technical orders.
- Verify part dimensions or clearances using precision measuring instruments to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Visually inspect equipment to detect surface defects.
- Write and submit reports about the results of calibration tests.
- Analytical or scientific software — Minitab
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD ; Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D ; Bentley MicroStation ; Dassault Systemes SOLIDWORKS
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software
- Development environment software — National Instruments LabVIEW
- Operating system software — Apple macOS ; Linux
- Project management software — Microsoft Project
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
Detailed Work Activities
- Analyze project data to determine specifications or requirements.
- Calibrate scientific or technical equipment.
- Develop technical methods or processes.
- Disassemble equipment to inspect for deficiencies.
- Draw detailed or technical illustrations.
- Evaluate characteristics of products.
- Fabricate products or components using machine tools.
- Inspect condition or functioning of facilities or equipment.
- Inspect finished products to locate flaws.
- Maintain test equipment.
- Order materials, supplies, or equipment.
- Prepare detailed work plans.
- Reassemble equipment after repair.
- Repair precision devices or workpieces.
- Review blueprints or specifications to determine work requirements.
- Test performance of electrical, electronic, mechanical, or integrated systems or equipment.
- Update technical knowledge.
- Write reports or evaluations.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Calibration Technologists and Technicians and Engineering Technologists and Technicians, Except Drafters, All Other.
Employment data for Calibration Technologists and Technicians and Engineering Technologists and Technicians, Except Drafters, All Other.
Industry data for Calibration Technologists and Technicians and Engineering Technologists and Technicians, Except Drafters, All Other.
|Median wages (2020)||$30.86 hourly, $64,190 annual|
|Employment (2019)||91,600 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Slower than average (1% to 2%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||7,900|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.