43-5011.01 - Freight Forwarders
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green New & Emerging occupation — the impact of green economy activities and technologies is sufficient to create the need for unique work and worker requirements, which results in the generation of new occupations.
Freight forwarders work in the following green economy sectors:
- Transportation — This sector covers activities related to increasing efficiency and/or reducing environmental impact of various modes of transportation including trucking, mass transit, and freight rail.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Analyze shipping routes to determine how to minimize environmental impact.
- Arrange for transport, using a variety of modes, such as rail, short sea shipping, air, or roadways, to minimize carbon emissions or other environmental impacts.
- Consider environmental sustainability factors when determining merchandise packing methods.
- Determine efficient and cost-effective methods of moving goods from one location to another.
- Recommend shipping solutions to minimize cost or environmental impacts.
- Review the environmental records of freight carriers to inform shipping decisions.