Summary Report for:
43-5011.01 - Freight Forwarders
Research rates, routings, or modes of transport for shipment of products. Maintain awareness of regulations affecting the international movement of cargo. Make arrangements for additional services, such as storage or inland transportation.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Analyze shipping routes to determine how to minimize environmental impact.
- Arrange delivery or storage of goods at destinations.
- Arrange for applicable duties, taxes, or paperwork for customs clearance.
- Arrange for special transport of sensitive cargoes, such as livestock, food, or medical supplies.
- Arrange for transport, using a variety of modes, such as rail, short sea shipping, air, or roadways, to minimize carbon emissions or other environmental impacts.
- Assist clients in obtaining insurance reimbursements.
- Calculate weight, volume, or cost of goods to be moved.
- Complete customs paperwork.
- Consider environmental sustainability factors when determining merchandise packing methods.
- Consolidate loads with a common destination to reduce costs to individual shippers.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Facsimile machines — Fax machines|
|Notebook computers — Laptop computers|
|Special purpose telephones — Multi-line telephone systems|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Compliance software — IES Ecellerate; QuestaWeb TradeMaster QW|
|Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook|
|Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Manufacturing resource planning MRP software; Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne; SAP software|
|Materials requirements planning logistics and supply chain software — Arcline ArcFreight; CargoWise ediEnterprise; Tailwind Management Systems Tailwind; TMW Enterprise Transportation Software|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
Interest code: CE
|Conventional — Conventional occupations frequently involve following set procedures and routines. These occupations can include working with data and details more than with ideas. Usually there is a clear line of authority to follow.|
|Enterprising — Enterprising occupations frequently involve starting up and carrying out projects. These occupations can involve leading people and making many decisions. Sometimes they require risk taking and often deal with business.|
|Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical.|
|Relationships — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to provide service to others and work with co-workers in a friendly non-competitive environment. Corresponding needs are Co-workers, Moral Values and Social Service.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Cargo and Freight Agents.
Employment data collected from Cargo and Freight Agents.
Industry data collected from Cargo and Freight Agents.
|Median wages (2012)||$19.10 hourly, $39,720 annual|
|Employment (2010)||82,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Much faster than average (29% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||44,200|
|Top industries (2010)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
for Freight Forwarders
State & National Job Banks
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Cargo and Freight Agents . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition.