Summary Report for:
11-3051.03 - Biofuels Production Managers
Manage biofuels production and plant operations. Collect and process information on plant production and performance, diagnose problems, and design corrective procedures.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Manage operations at biofuels power generation facilities, including production, shipping, maintenance, or quality assurance activities.
- Adjust temperature, pressure, vacuum, level, flow rate, or transfer of biofuels to maintain processes at required levels.
- Approve proposals for the acquisition, replacement, or repair of biofuels processing equipment or the implementation of new production processes.
- Conduct cost, material, and efficiency studies for biofuels production plants or operations.
- Monitor meters, flow gauges, or other real-time data to ensure proper operation of biofuels production equipment, implementing corrective measures as needed.
- Prepare and manage biofuels plant or unit budgets.
- Review logs, datasheets, or reports to ensure adequate production levels or to identify abnormalities with biofuels production equipment or processes.
- Shut down and restart biofuels plant or equipment in emergency situations or for equipment maintenance, repairs, or replacements.
- Supervise production employees in the manufacturing of biofuels, such as biodiesel or ethanol.
- Confer with technical and supervisory personnel to report or resolve conditions affecting biofuels plant safety, operational efficiency, and product quality.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Control valves — Flow control valves FCV; Throttle control valves TCV|
|Globe valves — Stop valves|
|Laboratory mechanical convection ovens — Gravity convection ovens|
|Standard fermentation units — Fermentation processing vessels|
|Two way radios — Mobile radios|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook|
|Facilities management software — Computerized maintenance management system CMMS software|
|Industrial control software — Distributed control systems DCS software; Human machine interface HMI software|
|Office suite software — Microsoft Office software|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
This occupation may require a background in the following science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) educational disciplines:
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
|Recognition — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer advancement, potential for leadership, and are often considered prestigious. Corresponding needs are Advancement, Authority, Recognition and Social Status.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
Employment data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
Industry data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
|Median wages (2012)||$42.88 hourly, $89,190 annual|
|Employment (2010)||150,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Slower than average (3% to 9%)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||49,000|
|Top industries (2010)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
for Biofuels Production Managers
State & National Job Banks
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Industrial Production Managers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition.