Summary Report for:
13-1199.05 - Sustainability Specialists
Address organizational sustainability issues, such as waste stream management, green building practices, and green procurement plans.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Develop sustainability project goals, objectives, initiatives, or strategies in collaboration with other sustainability professionals.
- Monitor or track sustainability indicators, such as energy usage, natural resource usage, waste generation, and recycling.
- Assess or propose sustainability initiatives, considering factors such as cost effectiveness, technical feasibility, and acceptance.
- Collect information about waste stream management or green building practices to inform decision-makers.
- Create marketing or outreach media, such as brochures or web sites, to communicate sustainability issues, procedures, or objectives.
- Create or maintain plans or other documents related to sustainability projects.
- Develop reports or presentations to communicate the effectiveness of sustainability initiatives.
- Identify or procure needed resources to implement sustainability programs or projects.
- Provide technical or administrative support for sustainability programs or issues.
- Write grant applications, rebate applications, or project proposals to secure funding for sustainability projects.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Facsimile machines — Fax machines|
|Laser printers — Computer laser printers|
|Notebook computers — Laptop computers|
|Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment|
|Scanners — Computer data input scanners|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Analytical or scientific software — Life cycle assessment LCA software; PE INTERNATIONAL GaBi software; PE INTERNATIONAL SoFi software; PRe Consultants SimaPro|
|Desktop publishing software — Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign; Microsoft Publisher; Quark software|
|Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook|
|Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator; Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop software|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
|Independence — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to work on their own and make decisions. Corresponding needs are Creativity, Responsibility and Autonomy.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
Employment data collected from Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
Industry data collected from Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
|Median wages (2012)||$31.31 hourly, $65,120 annual|
|Employment (2010)||1,064,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Average (10% to 19%)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||327,200|
|Top industries (2010)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.