Summary Report for:
29-1125.02 - Music Therapists
Plan, organize, or direct medically prescribed music therapy activities designed to positively influence patients' psychological or behavioral status.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Adapt existing or develop new music therapy assessment instruments or procedures to meet an individual client's needs.
- Analyze data to determine the effectiveness of specific treatments or therapy approaches.
- Analyze or synthesize client data to draw conclusions or make recommendations for therapy.
- Assess client functioning levels, strengths, and areas of need in terms of perceptual, sensory, affective, communicative, musical, physical, cognitive, social, spiritual, or other abilities.
- Communicate client assessment findings and recommendations in oral, written, audio, video, or other forms.
- Communicate with clients to build rapport, acknowledge their progress, or reflect upon their reactions to musical experiences.
- Confer with professionals on client's treatment team to develop, coordinate, or integrate treatment plans.
- Customize treatment programs for specific areas of music therapy, such as intellectual or developmental disabilities, educational settings, geriatrics, medical settings, mental health, physical disabilities, or wellness.
- Design music therapy experiences, using various musical elements to meet client's goals or objectives.
- Design or provide music therapy experiences to address client needs, such as using music for self-care, adjusting to life changes, improving cognitive functioning, raising self-esteem, communicating, or controlling impulses.
Interest code: SAI
|Social — Social occupations frequently involve working with, communicating with, and teaching people. These occupations often involve helping or providing service to others.|
|Artistic — Artistic occupations frequently involve working with forms, designs and patterns. They often require self-expression and the work can be done without following a clear set of rules.|
|Investigative — Investigative occupations frequently involve working with ideas, and require an extensive amount of thinking. These occupations can involve searching for facts and figuring out problems mentally.|
|Relationships — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to provide service to others and work with co-workers in a friendly non-competitive environment. Corresponding needs are Co-workers, Moral Values and Social Service.|
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
|Independence — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to work on their own and make decisions. Corresponding needs are Creativity, Responsibility and Autonomy.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Recreational Therapists.
Employment data collected from Recreational Therapists.
Industry data collected from Recreational Therapists.
|Median wages (2012)||$20.33 hourly, $42,280 annual|
|Employment (2012)||20,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2012-2022)||Average (8% to 14%)|
|Projected job openings (2012-2022)||6,700|
|Top industries (2012)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2012-2022 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2012-2022). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
for Music Therapists
State & National Job Banks
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Recreational Therapists . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition.