11-3071.01 - Transportation Managers
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green Enhanced Skills occupation — green economy activities and technologies are likely to cause significant change to the work and worker requirements. New tasks, skills, knowledge, credentials may be needed. Employment demand remains the same, but there is potential for an increase.
Transportation managers work in the following green economy sectors:
- Transportation — This sector covers activities related to increasing efficiency and/or reducing environmental impact of various modes of transportation including trucking, mass transit, and freight rail.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Develop or implement plans to improve transportation services control from regional to national or global load control center operations.
- Direct central load control centers to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of transportation services.
- Evaluate transportation vehicles or auxiliary equipment for purchase by considering factors such as fuel economy or aerodynamics.
- Identify or select transportation and communications system technologies to reduce costs or environmental impacts.
- Plan or implement energy saving changes to transportation services, such as reducing routes, optimizing capacities, employing alternate modes of transportation, or minimizing idling.