Summary Report for:
11-3013.00 - Facilities Managers
Plan, direct, or coordinate operations and functionalities of facilities and buildings. May include surrounding grounds or multiple facilities of an organization's campus.
Sample of reported job titles: Facilities Manager
Also see: Security Managers
- Acquire, distribute and store supplies.
- Conduct classes to teach procedures to staff.
- Dispose of, or oversee the disposal of, surplus or unclaimed property.
- Manage leasing of facility space.
- Monitor the facility to ensure that it remains safe, secure, and well-maintained.
- Oversee construction and renovation projects to improve efficiency and to ensure that facilities meet environmental, health, and security standards, and comply with government regulations.
- Oversee the maintenance and repair of machinery, equipment, and electrical and mechanical systems.
- Participate in architectural and engineering planning and design, including space and installation management.
- Plan, administer, and control budgets for contracts, equipment, and supplies.
- Prepare and review operational reports and schedules to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
- Set goals and deadlines for the department.
- Accounting software — Fund accounting software; Intuit QuickBooks ; Sage 50 Accounting
- Customer relationship management CRM software — Blackbaud The Raiser's Edge
- Data base management system software — Teradata Database
- Data base reporting software — SAP BusinessObjects Crystal Reports
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software ; FileMaker Pro; Microsoft Access ; Yardi (see all 5 examples)
- Desktop publishing software — Adobe Systems Adobe PageMaker; Microsoft Publisher
- Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Electronic mail software — Email software; IBM Notes ; Microsoft Outlook ; Novell GroupWise
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Microsoft Dynamics ; Microsoft Dynamics GP ; Oracle Hyperion ; Oracle PeopleSoft (see all 8 examples)
- Enterprise system management software — IBM Power Systems software
- Financial analysis software — Delphi Technology
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Microsoft Visio
- Human resources software — ADP Enterprise HRMS; ADP Workforce Now ; Human resource management software HRMS
- Industrial control software — Supervisory control and data acquisition SCADA software
- Instant messaging software — GroupMe
- Internet browser software — Microsoft Internet Explorer; Web browser software
- Office suite software — Google Drive ; Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Microsoft Windows XP
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Microsoft Project ; Microsoft SharePoint ; Oracle Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
Detailed Work Activities
- Purchase materials, equipment, or other resources.
- Allocate physical resources within organizations.
- Conduct employee training programs.
- Develop organizational goals or objectives.
- Direct facility maintenance or repair activities.
- Manage construction activities.
- Manage inventories of products or organizational resources.
- Monitor facilities or operational systems.
- Plan facility layouts or designs.
- Prepare operational budgets.
- Prepare operational progress or status reports.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Administrative Services and Facilities Managers.
Employment data for Administrative Services and Facilities Managers.
Industry data for Administrative Services and Facilities Managers.
|Median wages (2020)||$47.54 hourly, $98,890 annual|
|Employment (2019)||325,900 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Faster than average (5% to 7%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||26,300|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.