Details Report for:
25-1071.00 - Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary
Teach courses in health specialties, in fields such as dentistry, laboratory technology, medicine, pharmacy, public health, therapy, and veterinary medicine.
Sample of reported job titles: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Clinical Education Academic Coordinator, Clinical Professor, Clinical Sciences Professor, Instructor, Lecturer, Occupational Therapy Professor, Physical Therapy Professor, Professor
Tasks | Tools & Technology | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
Tools used in this occupation:
- Apparatus for gait analysis — Gait analysis equipment
- Arm orthopedic softgoods — Upper extremity slings
- Back or lumbar or sacral orthopedic softgoods — Back support braces; Lumbar corsets
- Balance beams or boards or bolsters or rockers for rehabilitation or therapy — Balance boards
- Bench refractometers or polarimeters — Digital refractometers
- Blood bank cell washers — Cell washing equipment
- Blood pressure cuff kits — Sphygmomanometers
- Canes or cane accessories — Walking canes
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units or accessories — Cardiac monitors
- Coagulation analyzers — Coagulation testing equipment
- Colorimeters — Colorimetric devices
- Compact disk players or recorders — Compact disk CD players
- Cosmetic dentistry curing lights or accessories — Curing lights
- Crutches or crutch accessories — Crutches
- Cryostats — Microcryostats
- Dental amalgamators — Dental amalgamation equipment
- Dental examination chairs or related parts or accessories — Dental patient chairs
- Dental formers — Vacuum formers
- Dental hand pieces or accessories — Dental handpieces
- Dental laboratory lathes or accessories — Dental laboratory lathes
- Dental laboratory model trimmers or accessories — Dental laboratory model trimmers
- Dental lasers — Dental laser equipment
- Dental saliva ejectors or oral suction devices or supplies — Dental suction units; Oral evacuation systems
- Dental scalers or accessories — Ultrasonic scalers
- Dental shades — Tooth shade guides
- Dental x ray units — Panoramic x ray machines
- Desktop computers — Digital imaging workstations
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video cameras; Video recording systems
- Digital cameras — Compact digital cameras; Intraoral cameras; Pan-tilt-zoom PTZ cameras
- Digital video disk players or recorders — Digital video disk DVD players
- Dollies — Equipment dollies
- Dropping pipettes — Pipetting devices
- Dry baths or heating blocks — Laboratory heating blocks
- Electro etcher marking machine — Micro-etchers
- Electrocardiography EKG units — Electrocardiography EKG machines
- Electromyography EMG units or accessories — Electromyography EMG systems
- Electronic medical thermometers — Digital medical thermometers
- Electrosurgical or electrocautery equipment — Electrosurgery devices
- Electrotherapy combination units — Electric stimulation machines
- Emergency medical services first aid kits — Emergency first aid kits
- Emergency or resuscitation carts — Crash carts
- Endoscopic video cameras or recorders or adapters or accessories — Video endoscopy equipment
- Epidiascopes — Opaque projectors
- Ergometer — Ergometers
- Exercise trampolines
- Eyewashers or eye wash stations — Emergency eyewash stations
- Fitness weights — Free weights
- Full body immersion hydrotherapy baths or tanks — Therapeutic whirlpool baths
- Fume hoods or cupboards — Fume hoods
- Gait belts for rehabilitation or therapy — Gait belts
- Galvanic or faradic stimulators — High-voltage galvanic stimulation machines
- Head mounted displays — Virtual reality augmented cycling kits VRACK
- Hemacytometer sets — Hemacytometers
- Hematology analyzers — Automated ESR analyzers
- Hematology test kits or supplies — Hematology test kits
- High capacity removable media drives — Universal serial bus USB flash drives
- Histology or cytology slide stainers — Slide stainers
- Immunology analyzers — Immuno-chemistry analyzers
- Inkjet printers — Poster printers
- Knee brace or support — Knee support braces
- Laboratory balances
- Laboratory blenders or emulsifiers — Total parenteral nutrition TPN compounders
- Laboratory graduated cylinders — Graduated glass cylinders
- Laboratory mechanical convection ovens — Casting ovens
- Laboratory mixers — Polyether mixing machines; Rotator mixers
- Laminar flow cabinets or stations — Flow hoods
- Laser fax machine — Laser facsimile machines
- Laser printers — Computer laser printers
- Lasers — Diode lasers
- Liquid crystal display projector — Liquid crystal display LCD projectors
- Lower body resistance machines — Isokinetic lower body testing machines
- Mats or platforms for rehabilitation or therapy — High-lo manipulation tables
- Medical acoustic stethoscope or accessory — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical c arm x ray units — Flat panel c-arms
- Medical computed tomography CT or CAT scanners or tubes — Large bore computed tomography CT scanners
- Medical exam or non surgical procedure gloves — Protective medical gloves
- Medical gamma cameras for general use — Large animal gamma cameras
- Medical gas cylinders or related devices — Oxygen tanks
- Medical picture archiving computer systems PACS
- Medical positron emission tomography PET units — Large bore positron emission tomography PET scanners
- Medical radiological shielding aprons or masks or drapes — Lead aprons
- Medical staff isolation or surgical masks — Protective medical face masks
- Medical syringe with needle — Hypodermic syringes
- Medical tape measures — Medical measuring tapes
- Medical ultrasound or doppler or echo monitors — Intraoperative ultrasound monitors
- Medicine ball — Medicine balls
- Microcentrifuges — Microhematocrit centrifuges
- Microphone stand — Microphone podiums
- Microphones — Handheld microphones; Wireless microphones
- Microplate readers
- Microscope slides — Agar slides
- Mobile or transportable medical linear accelerators — Medical linear accelerators
- Motion analysis system — 3D movement analysis systems
- MP3 players or recorders — MP3 digital voice recorders
- Multimedia projectors — Computer projectors; Multimedia projection equipment
- Multipurpose or general test tubes — General purpose laboratory test tubes
- Needle or blade or sharps disposal container or cart — Biohazard containers
- Neuromuscular stimulators or kits — Functional electrical stimulation FES equipment
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Orthopedic splint systems — Wrist splints
- Osmometers — Laboratory osmometers
- Overhead projectors — Overhead data projectors
- Parallel bars for rehabilitation or therapy — Parallel bars
- Patient care beds or accessories for general use — Hospital beds; Rotating bed
- Patient care beds or accessories for specialty care — Tilt tables
- Patient lifts or accessories — Hoyer lifts; Total lift chairs
- Patient shifting boards or accessories — Sliding boards
- Pelvis or back traction supplies — Cervical traction units; Pelvic traction equipment
- Petri plates or dishes — Petri dishes
- Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment
- Physiological recorders — Step monitoring devices; Web-based telerehabilitation monitoring systems
- Portable data input terminals — Interactive whiteboard controllers; Student response systems
- Postmortem animal dissection tables or accessories — Microdissection systems
- Posture evaluation kit — Posture scale analyzers
- Powder boards for rehabilitation or therapy — Powder boards
- Pressure indicators — Force measurement plates
- Projection screens or displays — Projector screens
- Pulse oximeter units — Pulse oximeters
- Reachers for the physically challenged — Reachers
- Reflex hammers or mallets — Reflex hammers
- Resistive exercise bands or putty or tubing or accessories for rehabilitation or therapy — Resistive exercise bands
- Scanners — Computer data input scanners
- Scanning light or spinning disk or laser scanning microscopes — Laser scanning confocal microscopes
- Scientific calculator — Digital calculators
- Shaking incubators — Blood culture incubators
- Slide projectors — Carousel slide projectors
- Special purpose telephones — Multi-line telephone systems
- Spill kits — Spill cleanup kits
- Stationary bicycles — Recumbent exercise bicycles; Stationary exercise bicycles
- Steam autoclaves or sterilizers — Pressure steam autoclaves
- Tablet computers
- Teeth cleaning devices or accessories — Dental air water syringes
- Teleconference equipment — Conference telephones
- Televisions — Liquid crystal display LCD televisions; Television monitors
- Therapeutic cryo compression therapy system and accessories — Sequential pump equipment
- Therapeutic heating or cooling pads or compresses or packs — Therapeutic cold packs; Therapeutic hot packs
- Touch screen monitors — Interactive whiteboards
- Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation units — Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation TENS equipment
- Transmission electron microscopes — Transmission electron microscopes TEM
- Treadmill exercisers for rehabilitation or therapy — Therapeutic treadmill exercisers
- Ultrasonic cleaning equipment — Ultrasonic sterilization units
- Ultrasonic therapy apparatus or supplies — Ultrasound machines
- Upper body resistance machines — Isokinetic upper body testing machines
- Urinalysis analyzers — Urine analyzers
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Vortex mixers — Laboratory vortex mixers
- Walkers or rollators — Walkers
- Water baths — Laboratory water baths
- Web cameras — Remote webcams; Webcams
- Wheelchairs — Patient wheelchairs
- Wrist exercisers for rehabilitation or therapy — Hand grips
Technology used in this occupation:
- Analytical or scientific software — SAS software; SPSS software
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Compliance software — Material safety data sheet MSDS software
- Computer based training software — Articulate Rapid E-Learning Studio; Blackboard Learn; Learning management system LMS software; Sakai CLE (see all 6 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software; EcoLogic Systems ADAM Indoor Air Quality Management Software; Microsoft Access
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Graphics or photo imaging software — TechSmith Snagit
- Information retrieval or search software — DOC Cop; iParadigms Turnitin
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Map creation software — Geographic information system GIS software
- Medical software — Dental software; Electronic health record EHR software; InteractElsevier Netter's 3D Interactive Anatomy
- Multi-media educational software — Turning Technologies TurningPoint
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office software
- Optical character reader OCR or scanning software — Image scanning software
- Presentation software — Adobe Systems Adobe Presenter; Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Collaborative editing software; Google Docs; Microsoft Word
- Develop instructional materials.
- Guide class discussions.
- Evaluate student work.
- Advise educators on curricula, instructional methods, or policies.
- Maintain student records.
- Order instructional or library materials or equipment.
- Administer tests to assess educational needs or progress.
- Supervise student research or internship work.
- Research topics in area of expertise.
- Teach physical science or mathematics courses at the college level.
- Write articles, books or other original materials in area of expertise.
- Develop instructional objectives.
- Attend training sessions or professional meetings to develop or maintain professional knowledge.
- Stay informed about current developments in field of specialization.
- Prepare tests.
- Supervise laboratory work.
- Evaluate effectiveness of educational programs.
- Write grant proposals.
- Serve on institutional or departmental committees.
- Advise students on academic or career matters.
- Direct department activities.
- Select educational materials or equipment.
- Perform student enrollment or registration activities.
- Promote educational institutions or programs.
- Plan community programs or activities for the general public.
- Compile specialized bibliographies or lists of materials.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include librarians, lawyers, sports medicine physicians, wildlife biologists, school psychologists, surgeons, treasurers, and controllers.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
This occupation may require a background in the following science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) educational disciplines:
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|25-1042.00||Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1053.00||Environmental Science Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1072.00||Nursing Instructors and Teachers, Postsecondary Bright Outlook|
|25-1193.00||Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary|
|29-1031.00||Dietitians and Nutritionists|
|29-1062.00||Family and General Practitioners|
|29-1064.00||Obstetricians and Gynecologists|
|29-1069.09||Preventive Medicine Physicians|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2014)||$90,210 annual|
|Employment (2012)||190,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2012-2022)||Much faster than average (22% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2012-2022)||97,200|
|Top industries (2012)||
Educational Services (96% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2014 wage data and 2012-2022 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2012-2022). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Postsecondary Teachers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition.