Details Report for:
29-1141.04 - Clinical Nurse Specialists
Plan, direct, or coordinate the daily patient care activities in a clinical practice. Ensure adherence to established clinical policies, protocols, regulations, and standards.
Sample of reported job titles: Board Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist, Diabetes; Cardiology Clinical Nurse Specialist; Cardiothoracic Surgery Clinical Nurse Specialist; Cardiovascular Clinical Nurse Specialist; Clinical Nurse Specialist; Critical Care Clinical Nurse Specialist; Emergency Department Clinical Nurse Specialist; Intensive Care Unit Clinical Nurse Specialist; Nurse Clinician; Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist
Tasks | Tools & Technology | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
Tools used in this occupation:
- Acute care fetal or maternal monitoring units or accessories — Fetal monitors
- Apnea monitors or accessories — Apnea monitors
- Arterial blood gas monitors or accessories — Arterial blood gas testing equipment
- Arterial line catheters — Swan Ganz artery catheters
- Automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Automated external defibrillators AED
- Autotransfusion units — Autotransfusion systems
- Bedpans for general use — Bedpans
- Blood collection syringes — Blood drawing syringes
- Blood pressure cuff kits — Sphygmomanometers
- Breast pumps or its accessories — Breast pumps
- Bronchoscopes or accessories — Bronchoscopes
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units or accessories — Cardiac monitors; Hemodynamic monitors
- Cardiac pacemaker generator or cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemaker CRT-P — Transcutaneous pacemakers; Transvenous pacemakers
- Cardiac ultrasound or doppler or echo units or cardioscopes — Doppler ultrasound equipment
- Cast cutters or saws — Cast cutting saws
- Cast or splint carts — Cast carts
- Central venous catheters — Multiple lumen central line catheters
- Clinical incubators or infant warmers — Isolettes; Newborn warming lamps
- Clinical trapeze bars — Clinical trapeze traction bars
- Crutches or crutch accessories — Crutches
- Desktop computers
- Diagnostic or interventional vascular catheters or sets — Angiocaths; Pulmonary artery catheters
- Electrocardiography EKG transmitter or telemetry or accessories — Telemetry monitors
- Electrocardiography EKG units — Electrocardiography EKG machines
- Electronic blood pressure units — Blood pressure monitors
- Electronic medical thermometers — Digital patient thermometers
- Electrosurgical or electrocautery equipment — Electrosurgical cauterization machines
- Emergency or resuscitation carts — Crash carts; Pediatric crash carts
- End tidal carbon dioxide monitors or supplies — End tidal carbon dioxide monitors
- Endotracheal or tracheotomy sets — Tracheotomy sets
- Endotracheal tubes — Endotracheal ET tubes
- Enema kits or accessories — Enema equipment
- Enteral feeding infusion pump tubing sets — Enteral feeding sets
- Epidural anesthesia kit or tray — Epidural catheters
- Eye charts or vision cards — Visual acuity charts
- Finger ring removers — Ring cutters
- Flexible endoscopes or accessories or related products — Fiberoptic endoscopes
- Floor grade forceps or hemostats — Alligator forceps; Ring forceps; Straight hemostats
- Flow sensors or regulators or components — Oxygen flowmeters
- Glucose monitors or meters — Blood glucometers
- Goggles — Safety goggles
- Gurneys or scissor lifts — Medical gurneys
- Intermittent positive pressure breathing IPPB machines — Mechanical intermittent positive pressure ventilators
- Intracranial pressure ICP monitoring units or accessories — Intracranial pressure monitors
- Intravenous infusion pumps for general use — Intravenous infusion pumps
- Intravenous or arterial catheter tray — Intravenous IV administration sets; Intravenous IV cutdown trays
- Intubation forceps — Magill forceps
- Intubator components or accessories — Intubation sets
- Laboratory graduated cylinders — Graduated glass laboratory cylinders
- Manual resuscitators — Manual resuscitation bags
- Medical acoustic stethoscope or accessory — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical aspiration or irrigation syringes — Bulb syringes
- Medical exam or non surgical procedure gloves — Medical examination protective gloves
- Medical incision drainage bags or reservoirs — Incision drainage equipment
- Medical nasal catheters or catheterization kits — Nasal catheters
- Medical oxygen masks or parts — Oxygen delivery masks
- Medical radiological positioning aids for general radiological use — Sandbags
- Medical staff isolation or cover gown — Protective gowns
- Medical staff isolation or surgical masks — Protective face shields; Protective medical face masks
- Medical staple or clip removers — Surgical staple removers
- Medical stapler for external use — Skin staplers
- Medical suction or vacuum appliances — Nasal suctioning equipment; Oral suctioning equipment; Tracheal suctioning equipment
- Medical syringe with needle — Hypodermic syringes
- Medical tuning forks — Diagnostic tuning forks
- Medical ultrasound or doppler or echo transducers or accessories — Ultrasound transducers
- Medication or pill dispensers or accessories — Automated medicine dispensing equipment
- Microscope slides
- Multiparameter vital sign unit or accessories — Transport cardiac monitors
- Nasal exam specula or dilators — Nasal specula
- Nasogastric tubes
- Nasopharyngeal tubes — Nasopharyngeal airways
- Nebulizer or accessories — Electronic compressor nebulizers; Handheld nebulizers
- Non invasive bi level machines — Bilevel positive airway pressure BiPAP ventilators
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Ophthalmic irrigation or aspiration supplies or accessories — Eye lavage kits
- Ophthalmic slit lamps
- Ophthalmic tonometers or accessories — Ophthalmic tonometers
- Ophthalmoscopes or otoscopes or scope sets — Ophthalmoscopes; Otoscopes
- Orthopedic splint systems — Orthopedic splinting equipment
- Orthopedic traction hardware or weights — Traction weights
- Ostomy appliances — Ostomy equipment
- Otological instruments or accessories — Ear curettes
- Oxygen concentrators
- Patient care beds or accessories for specialty care — Specialty patient care beds
- Patient floor scales — Medical scales
- Patient shifting boards or accessories — Transfer boards
- Patient stabilization or fall prevention devices or accessories — Patient restraints
- Perfusion oxygen or hematocrit saturation monitors or accessories — Venous Oxygen Saturation SVO2 monitors
- Pericardiocentesis needles or kits or accessories — Pericardiocentesis kits
- Pleural cavity drainage unit or container or accessories — Chest drains
- Pulse oximeter units — Pulse oximeters
- Reflex hammers or mallets — Reflex hammers
- Specimen collection container — Specimen collection containers
- Spine boards — Backboards
- Spirometers or its accessories or its supplies — Incentive spirometers
- Surgical clamps or clips or forceps or accessories — Occlusion clamps
- Surgical irrigation sets or accessories — Surgical irrigation sets
- Surgical scalpels or knives or blades or trephines or accessories — Surgical scalpels
- Surgical scissors — Straight surgical scissors
- Surgical shave kits or prep razors or clippers — Surgical razors
- Suture removal kits or trays or packs or sets — Suture removal kits
- Suturing kits or trays or packs or sets — Laceration repair trays
- Tablet computers
- Tablet crushers or accessories — Pill crushers; Pill splitters
- Therapeutic heating or cooling blankets or drapes — Hyper/hypothermia blankets
- Thoracentesis set or tray — Thoracentesis kits; Thoracentesis trays
- Tongue depressors or blades or sticks — Tongue blades
- Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation units — Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation TENS equipment
- Ultraviolet UV lamps — Wood's lamps
- Umbilical catheters
- Urinalysis analyzers — Urine analysis equipment
- Urinalysis test strips
- Urinary catheterization kit — Urinary catheters
- Vacuum blood collection tubes or containers — Evacuated blood collection tubes
- Vaginal exam specula
- Vascular or compression apparel or support — Pneumatic boots
- Walkers or rollators — Patient walkers
Technology used in this occupation:
- Electronic mail software — Email software
- Information retrieval or search software — Online medical databases
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Medical software — eClinicalWorks software; GE Healthcare Centricity EMR; Medscribbler Enterprise; StatCom Patient Flow Logistics Enterprise Suite (see all 15 examples)
- Collect medical information from patients, family members, or other medical professionals.
- Diagnose medical conditions.
- Prescribe medications.
- Examine patients to assess general physical condition.
- Prepare reports summarizing patient diagnostic or care activities.
- Follow protocols or regulations for healthcare activities.
- Develop medical treatment plans.
- Analyze patient data to determine patient needs or treatment goals.
- Treat acute illnesses, infections, or injuries.
- Monitor patient conditions during treatments, procedures, or activities.
- Communicate detailed medical information to patients or family members.
- Collaborate with healthcare professionals to plan or provide treatment.
- Evaluate patient functioning, capabilities, or health.
- Train medical providers.
- Monitor medical facility activities to ensure adherence to standards or regulations.
- Maintain medical or professional knowledge.
- Supervise patient care personnel.
- Advise medical personnel regarding healthcare issues.
- Conduct research to increase knowledge about medical issues.
- Establish nursing policies or standards.
- Manage healthcare operations.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include librarians, lawyers, sports medicine physicians, wildlife biologists, school psychologists, surgeons, treasurers, and controllers.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|25-1071.00||Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1072.00||Nursing Instructors and Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1193.00||Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary|
|29-1141.02||Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses|
|29-1171.00||Nurse Practitioners Bright Outlook|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Registered Nurses.
Employment data collected from Registered Nurses.
Industry data collected from Registered Nurses.
|Median wages (2014)||$32.04 hourly, $66,640 annual|
|Employment (2014)||2,751,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2014-2024)||Much faster than average (14% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2014-2024)||1,088,400|
|Top industries (2014)||
Health Care and Social Assistance (87% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2014 wage data and 2014-2024 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2014-2024). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Registered nurses . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition.