41 matches for mechanical engineering
|O*NET-SOC Title||1 match|
|Alternate Occupation Titles||26 matches|
|O*NET-SOC Description||1 match|
|Detailed Work Activities||2 matches|
- Ship Engineers
Alternate Occupation Titles
- Assistant Engineer
- Barge Engineer
- Chief Engineer
- Deck Engineer
- Equipment Operating Engineer
- Ferry Engineer
- Fire Boat Engineer
- Fire Department Marine Engineer
- Harbor Engineer
- Licensed Marine Engineer
- Marine Mechanic
- Marine Engine Mechanic
- Marine Engineer
- Maritime Engineer
- Officer in Charge of Engineering Watch
- Operating Engineer
- Operating or Equipment Maintenance Marine Engineer
- Port Engineer
- Ship Engines Operating Engineer
- Small Boat Engineer
- Towboat Engineer
- Tug Boat Engineer
- Tugboat Engineer
- Turnaround Engineer
- Vessel Engineer
- Supervise and coordinate activities of crew engaged in operating and maintaining engines, boilers, deck machinery, and electrical, sanitary, and refrigeration equipment aboard ship.
- Clean engine parts and keep engine rooms clean.
- Fabricate engine replacement parts, such as valves, stay rods, or bolts, using metalworking machinery.
- Install engine controls, propeller shafts, or propellers.
- Maintain complete records of engineering department activities, including machine operations.
- Maintain or repair engines, electric motors, pumps, winches, or other mechanical or electrical equipment, or assist other crew members with maintenance or repair duties.
- Monitor engine, machinery, or equipment indicators when vessels are underway, and report abnormalities to appropriate shipboard staff.
- Monitor and test operations of engines or other equipment so that malfunctions and their causes can be identified.
- Order and receive engine room stores, such as oil or spare parts, maintain inventories, and record usage of supplies.
- Record orders for changes in ship speed or direction, and note gauge readings or test data, such as revolutions per minute or voltage output, in engineering logs or bellbooks.
- Start engines to propel ships, and regulate engines and power transmissions to control speeds of ships, according to directions from captains or bridge computers.
- Supervise marine engine technicians engaged in the maintenance or repair of mechanical or electrical marine vessels, and inspect their work to ensure that it is performed properly.
Detailed Work Activities
- Maintain watercraft engines or machinery.
- Monitor engine operation or functioning.
Learn more on the