11-9041.01 - Biofuels/Biodiesel Technology and Product Development Managers
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green New & Emerging occupation — the impact of green economy activities and technologies is sufficient to create the need for unique work and worker requirements, which results in the generation of new occupations.
Biofuels/biodiesel technology and product development managers work in the following green economy sectors:
- Renewable Energy Generation — This sector covers activities related to developing and using energy sources such as solar, wind, geothermal, and biomass. This sector also includes traditional, non-renewable sources of energy undergoing significant green technological changes (e.g., oil, coal, gas, and nuclear).
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Analyze data from biofuels studies, such as fluid dynamics, water treatments, or solvent extraction and recovery processes.
- Conduct experiments on biomass or pretreatment technologies.
- Conduct experiments to test new or alternate feedstock fermentation processes.
- Conduct research to breed or develop energy crops with improved biomass yield, environmental adaptability, pest resistance, production efficiency, bioprocessing characteristics, or reduced environmental impacts.
- Design chemical conversion processes, such as etherification, esterification, interesterification, transesterification, distillation, hydrogenation, oxidation or reduction of fats and oils, and vegetable oil refining.
- Design or conduct applied biodiesel or biofuels research projects on topics, such as transport, thermodynamics, mixing, filtration, distillation, fermentation, extraction, and separation.
- Design or execute solvent or product recovery experiments in laboratory or field settings.
- Develop carbohydrates arrays and associated methods for screening enzymes involved in biomass conversion.
- Develop computational tools or approaches to improve biofuels research and development activities.
- Develop lab scale models of industrial scale processes, such as fermentation.
- Develop methods to estimate the efficiency of biomass pretreatments.
- Develop methods to recover ethanol or other fuels from complex bioreactor liquid and gas streams.
- Develop separation processes to recover biofuels.
- Oversee biodiesel/biofuels prototyping or development projects.
- Perform protein functional analysis and engineering for processing of feedstock and creation of biofuels.
- Prepare biofuels research and development reports for senior management or technical professionals.
- Prepare, or oversee the preparation of, experimental plans for biofuels research or development.
- Propose new biofuels products, processes, technologies or applications based on findings from applied biofuels or biomass research projects.
- Provide technical or scientific guidance to technical staff in the conduct of biofuels research or development.