Related occupations for task:
Drive engines within railroad yards or other establishments to couple, uncouple, or switch railroad cars.
||Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators and Locomotive Firers
- Operate locomotives in emergency situations.
- Start diesel engines to warm engines before runs.
- Operate and drive locomotives, diesel switch engines, dinkey engines, flatcars, and railcars in train yards and at industrial sites.
- Ride atop cars that have been shunted, and turn handwheels to control speeds or stop cars at specified positions.
- Receive starting signals from conductors and use controls such as throttles or air brakes to drive electric, diesel-electric, steam, or gas turbine-electric locomotives.
- Operate locomotives to transport freight or passengers between stations or to assemble or disassemble trains within rail yards.
- Drive diesel-electric rail-detector cars to transport rail-flaw-detecting machines over tracks.
||Loading and Moving Machine Operators, Underground Mining
- Guide and stop cars by switching, applying brakes, or placing scotches, or wooden wedges, between wheels and rails.