||Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Move machine controls to index workpieces, and to adjust machines for pre-selected operational settings.
- Activate machine start-up switches to grind, lap, hone, debar, shear, or cut workpieces, according to specifications.
- Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic workpieces.
- Set and adjust machine controls according to product specifications, using knowledge of machine operation.
||Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grind out burrs or sharp edges, using portable grinders, speed lathes, or polishing jacks.
- Sharpen dulled blades, using bench grinders, abrasive wheels, or lathes.
- Hone cutters with oilstones to remove nicks.
||Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Replace or sharpen dulled cutting tools such as saws.
- Clean, treat, buff, or polish finished items, using grinders, brushes, chisels, and cleaning solutions and polishing materials.
- Route items to provide cutouts for parts, using portable routers, grinders, and hand tools.
||Gem and Diamond Workers
- Hold stones, gems, dies, or styluses against rotating plates, wheels, saws, or slitters to cut, shape, slit, grind, or polish them.
- Replace, true, and sharpen blades, drills, and plates.
- Regrind drill points, and advance drill cutting points according to specifications for channel depths and shapes.
||Tool and Die Makers
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, or grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.