||Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Move machine controls to index workpieces, and to adjust machines for pre-selected operational settings.
- Activate machine start-up switches to grind, lap, hone, debar, shear, or cut workpieces, according to specifications.
- Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic workpieces.
- Set and adjust machine controls according to product specifications, using knowledge of machine operation.
- Repair or replace machine parts, using hand tools, or notify engineering personnel when corrective action is required.
||Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grind out burrs or sharp edges, using portable grinders, speed lathes, or polishing jacks.
- Replace defective blades or wheels, using hand tools.
- Sharpen dulled blades, using bench grinders, abrasive wheels, or lathes.
- Hone cutters with oilstones to remove nicks.
||Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Set up and operate machines, such as lathes, cutters, shears, borers, millers, grinders, presses, drills, or auxiliary machines, to make metallic and plastic workpieces.
- Change worn machine accessories, such as cutting tools or brushes, using hand tools.
- Remove burrs, sharp edges, rust, or scale from workpieces, using files, hand grinders, wire brushes, or power tools.
||Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Replace or sharpen dulled cutting tools such as saws.
- Clean, treat, buff, or polish finished items, using grinders, brushes, chisels, and cleaning solutions and polishing materials.
- Route items to provide cutouts for parts, using portable routers, grinders, and hand tools.
||Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
- Monitor machine operations to determine whether adjustments are necessary, stopping machines when problems occur.
- Set up and operate grinding or polishing machines to grind metal workpieces, such as dies, parts, and tools.
- Remove and replace worn or broken machine parts, using hand tools.