Related occupations for task:
Steer ships under the direction of commanders or navigating officers or direct helmsmen to steer, following designated courses.
- Follow safety procedures to ensure the protection of passengers, cargo, and vessels.
- Operate engine throttles and steering mechanisms to guide boats on desired courses.
- Tow, push, or guide other boats, barges, logs, or rafts.
||Ship and Boat Captains
- Steer and operate vessels, using radios, depth finders, radars, lights, buoys, or lighthouses.
- Dock or undock vessels, sometimes maneuvering through narrow spaces, such as locks.
- Tow and maneuver barges or signal tugboats to tow barges to destinations.
- Steer ships into or out of berths or signal tugboat captains to berth or unberth ships.
- Relieve crew members on tugs or launches.
||Mates- Ship, Boat, and Barge
- Steer vessels, using navigational devices, such as compasses or sextants, or navigational aids, such as lighthouses or buoys.
- Start engines to propel ships and regulate engines and power transmissions to control speeds of ships, according to directions from captains or bridge computers.