- Examine sample garments on and off models, modifying designs to achieve desired effects.
- Adapt other designers' ideas for the mass market.
- Design custom clothing and accessories for individuals, retailers, or theatrical, television, or film productions.
- Develop a group of products or accessories, and market them through venues such as boutiques or mail-order catalogs.
||Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, and Illustrators
- Integrate and develop visual elements, such as line, space, mass, color, and perspective, to produce desired effects, such as the illustration of ideas, emotions, or moods.
- Create sculptures, statues, and other three-dimensional artwork by using abrasives and tools to shape, carve, and fabricate materials such as clay, stone, wood, or metal.
- Cut, bend, laminate, arrange, and fasten individual or mixed raw and manufactured materials and products to form works of art.
- Create finished art work as decoration, or to elucidate or substitute for spoken or written messages.
- Plan arrangement according to client's requirements, utilizing knowledge of design and properties of materials, or select appropriate standard design pattern.
- Trim material and arrange bouquets, wreaths, terrariums, and other items using trimmers, shapers, wire, pins, floral tape, foam, and other materials.
- Create and change in-store and window displays, designs, and looks to enhance a shop's image.
||Multimedia Artists and Animators
- Create basic designs, drawings, and illustrations for product labels, cartons, direct mail, or television.
- Script, plan, and create animated narrative sequences under tight deadlines, using computer software and hand drawing techniques.
- Create and install special effects as required by the script, mixing chemicals and fabricating needed parts from wood, metal, plaster, and clay.
- Create functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials.
- Cut, shape, fit, join, mold, or otherwise process materials, using hand tools, power tools, or machinery.
- Develop concepts or creative ideas for craft objects.