- Prepare base for installation by removing unstable or unsuitable materials, compacting and grading the soil, draining or stabilizing weak or saturated soils and taking measures to prevent water penetration and migration of bedding sand.
- Supply and place base materials, edge restraints, bedding sand and jointing sand.
- Sweep sand into the joints and compact pavement until the joints are full.
- Screed sand level to an even thickness, and recheck sand exposed to elements, raking and rescreeding if necessary.
- Compact bedding sand and pavers to finish the paved area, using a plate compactor.
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials.
- Grade or level trench bases, using tamping machines or hand tools.
- Glaze top layers to make a smooth finish or embed gravel in the bitumen for rough surfaces.
- Apply gravel or pebbles over top layers of roofs, using rakes or stiff-bristled brooms.
||Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Operate tamping machines or manually roll surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- Shovel blacktop.
||Highway Maintenance Workers
- Haul and spread sand, gravel, and clay to fill washouts and repair road shoulders.
- Dump, spread, and tamp asphalt, using pneumatic tampers, to repair joints and patch broken pavement.
||Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Clean, grade, or level ballast on railroad tracks.
- Drive graders, tamping machines, brooms, or ballast spreading machines to redistribute gravel or ballast between rails.
||Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Operate power vibrator to compact concrete.
- Secure stakes to grids for constructions of footings, nail scabs to footing forms, and vibrate and float concrete.
- Dig ditches or trenches, backfill excavations, or compact and level earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, or rakes.
- Apply shingles, gravel, or asphalt over the top layer of tar to protect the roofing material.
||Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
- Operate compactors, scrapers, or rollers to level, compact, or cover refuse at disposal grounds.