17-2199.07 - Photonics Engineers
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green New & Emerging occupation — the impact of green economy activities and technologies is sufficient to create the need for unique work and worker requirements, which results in the generation of new occupations.
Photonics engineers work in the following green economy sectors:
- Manufacturing — This sector covers activities related to industrial manufacturing of green technology as well as energy efficient manufacturing processes.
- Research, Design, and Consulting Services — This sector encompasses "indirect jobs" to the green economy which includes activities such as energy consulting or research and other related business services.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Design or develop new crystals for photonics applications.
- Design or redesign optical fibers to minimize energy loss.
- Design photonics products, such as light sources, displays, or photovoltaics to achieve increased energy efficiency.
- Design solar energy photonics or other materials or devices to generate energy.
- Develop photonics sensing or manufacturing technologies to improve the efficiency of manufacturing or related processes.