Details Report for:
17-2031.00 - Biomedical Engineers
Apply knowledge of engineering, biology, and biomechanical principles to the design, development, and evaluation of biological and health systems and products, such as artificial organs, prostheses, instrumentation, medical information systems, and health management and care delivery systems.
Sample of reported job titles: Biomedical Electronics Technician, Biomedical Engineer, Biomedical Engineering Director, Biomedical Engineering Technician, Biomedical Equipment Technician (BMET), Biomedical Manager, Biomedical Technician, Clinical Engineer, Professor, Research Engineer
Tasks | Tools & Technology | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
Tools used in this occupation:
- Acoustic sensors — Acoustic measurement systems
- Amplifiers — Bio-signal amplifiers; Radio frequency amplifiers
- Bacteria transformation kits — Bacteria-based biosensors; Rapid toxicity testing systems
- Benchtop centrifuges — Centrifuges
- Biometric identification equipment — Bio-sensors
- Camera based vision systems for automated data collection — Eye tracking devices
- Cardiac pacemaker generator or cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemaker CRT-P — Defibrillator testing devices; Pacemaker analyzers; Pacemaker testing devices
- Circuit tester — Circuit analyzers
- Compression testers — Material tension/compression testing devices
- Computed tomography CT or CAT radiotherapy simulators — Maskless photolithography equipment
- Deflecting devices — Deflectors
- Desktop computers
- Digital cameras — High-speed digital cameras
- Dissolved oxygen meters — Dissolved oxygen polarographic measurement devices
- Drug delivery system or accessories — Micropumps; Microvalves
- Dye sublimination printers — Sublimation printers
- Electro pneumatic transducers — Pressure transducers
- Electroencephalograph EEG or accessories — Electroencephalography EEG equipment
- Electrometers — Biomedical device electrical safety testers; Electrosurgery testing devices; Pressure and temperature measurement devices; Ventilator performance analyzers (see all 7 examples)
- Electromyography EMG units or accessories — Electromyographs EMG
- Electronic actuators — Motion actuators
- Electronic loads — Load sensors
- Endoscope maintenance units or accessories — Endovascular stent-graft testing instruments
- Fatigue testers — Cardiovascular prosthetic device testers; Material fatigue and dynamics characterization devices; Servopneumatic axial test instruments
- Flexure or transverse testing machines — Finger joint flexure testers; Multi-axis kinematic knee simulators; Spine simulators
- Flow injection analysis equipment — Flow control devices
- Fluorescent microscopes — Fluorescence microscopes
- Force or torque sensors — Strain gauge conditioners
- Forced air or mechanical convection general purpose incubators — Incubators
- Frequency calibrator or simulator — Bio-signal simulators
- Gas or vapour concentration measuring instruments — Gas flow control systems
- Glass injection moldings — Glass micromolds
- Hardness testers — Hardness testing devices
- Hemacytometer sets — Molecular cytosensors
- HEPA filtered enclosures — Biosafety cabinets
- Immunology or serology quality controls or calibrators or standards — Immuno-sensors
- Impact testers
- Inductively coupled plasma ICP spectrometers — Plasma excitation chambers
- Infrared spectrometers — Fourier transform infrared FTIR spectrometers
- Injection molding machines — Plastic injection molding machines
- Laboratory vacuum pumps — Molecular vacuum pumps
- Laser cutting machine — Laser ablation machines
- Magnetometers — Superconducting quantum interference devices SQUID
- Medical computed tomography CT or CAT scanners or tubes — Optical coherence tomography OCT scanners; Optical tomographic imaging scanners
- Medical magnetic resonance imaging MRI scanners — Biomagnetic imaging scanners; Functional magnetic resonance imaging fMRI scanners; Magnetic resonance imaging MRI systems; Ultra high speed magnetic resonance imaging MRI scanner machines (see all 5 examples)
- Medical positron emission tomography PET units — Positron emission tomography PET scanners
- Medical radiation dosimeters — Radiation compliance testing devices
- Medical single photon emission computed tomography SPECT units — Single photon emission computed tomography SPECT scanners
- Medical ultrasound or doppler or echo probes — Ultrasound indention probes
- Medical ultrasound or doppler or echo transducers or accessories — Ultrasound transducers
- Medical ultrasound or doppler or pulse echo or echography units for general diagnostic use — Ultrasonic testing apparatus; Ultrasound imaging scanners
- Medical x ray units for general diagnostic use — X ray machines
- Microcontrollers — Basic stamp microcontrollers
- Microplate readers
- Microplate washers
- Microplates — Microplating equipment
- Microscopic structure estimation apparatus — Microfluidic networks
- Milling machines
- Modulators — Acousto-optic modulators
- Neuromuscular stimulators or kits — Grass stimulators
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- pH electrodes — Electrode bevelers; Electrode pullers; Electroplating apparatus; Microelectrodes
- Phase modulation circuit — Frequency shifters
- Physiological recorders — Activity monitoring devices; Polygraph recorders; Torsiometers; Two-point discriminators (see all 7 examples)
- Piezo electric crystals — Piezoelectric ceramic transducers; Piezoelectric sensors
- Plastic injection moldings — Micromolding lithography equipment
- Pneumatic actuators — Servopneumatic actuators
- Pressure indicators — Environmental conditions measurement devices; Force platforms; Pinch gauges; Posturographic measurement systems (see all 7 examples)
- Pressure sensors
- Proton spectrometers — Electrical particle detectors
- Pulse oximeter units — Pulse oximeters
- Q Meters — Quantum-based switching applications Q-switch electron waveguides
- Rapid amplification or complementary deoxyribonucleic acid ends RACE technology products — Polymerase chain reaction PCR equipment
- Robot machines — Biomimetic robots
- Scanning electron microscopes — Multi-photon microscopes
- Scanning probe microscopes — Scanning probe microscopes SPM
- Skinfold calipers
- Sonometers — Digital sonomicrometers
- Spectrofluorimeters or fluorimeters — Spectrofluorimeters
- Spectrophotometers — Optical particle detectors
- Spirometers or its accessories or its supplies — Spirometers
- Sterilization sets — Sterilization-in-place equipment
- Strain gauges
- Surface tension measuring instruments — Pulsating bubble surfactometers PBS
- Tension testers — Prosthetic limb testers
- Thickness measuring devices — Anthropometers
- Tissue culture apparatus — Soft materials in-vitro simulation system
- Tissue culture coated plates or dishes or inserts — Polymer matrices; Polymer scaffolds
- Tissue culture incubators — Bioreactors
- Transmission electron microscopes — Micromanipulation microrheology microscopes
- Treadmills — Physical conditioning treadmill exercisers
- Tweezers — Optical traps
- Viscosimeters — Cone-plate viscometers
- Wattmeters — Ultrasound wattmeters
- Wave generators — Arbitrary waveform generators
- Wear testers — Spinal disk implant wear testers
- X ray and fluoroscopy RF radiotherapy planning simulators — X ray lithography equipment
Technology used in this occupation:
- Analytical or scientific software — Minitab software ; SNOINO Ttree; Stratasys FDM MedModeler; The MathWorks MATLAB (see all 46 examples)
- Charting software
- Compliance software — Equipment compliance testing software
- Computer aided design CAD software — Mathsoft Mathcad; PTC Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire; SolidWorks CAD software; Zuken software (see all 11 examples)
- Computer aided manufacturing CAM software — Rapid prototyping software
- Configuration management software — IBM Rational ClearCase
- Data base reporting software — SAP BusinessObjects Crystal Reports
- Data base user interface and query software — Failure rate database software; Oracle software
- Development environment software — Advanced computer simulation language ACSL; C ; Hardware description language HDL; Microsoft Visual Basic (see all 7 examples)
- Enterprise application integration software — Extensible markup language XML ; Rapid application development RAD software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — ERP software
- Medical software — Electromyograph analysis software; Gait analysis software; Medical information software; Virtual instrument software (see all 7 examples)
- Object or component oriented development software — C++ ; R
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office software
- Pattern design software — Diagramming software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Program testing software — Defect tracking software; System testing software
- Project management software — Microsoft Project ; Project estimation software
- Requirements analysis and system architecture software — IBM Rational RequisitePro; Requirements management software; Unified modeling language UML
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Interpret design or operational test results.
- Calibrate scientific or technical equipment.
- Advise customers on the use of products or services.
- Evaluate characteristics of equipment or systems.
- Analyze operational data to evaluate operations, processes or products.
- Design alternative energy systems.
- Supervise engineering or other technical personnel.
- Research engineering aspects of biological or chemical processes.
- Install instrumentation or electronic equipment or systems.
- Design electronic or computer equipment or instrumentation.
- Develop software or computer applications.
- Maintain operational records or records systems.
- Train personnel on proper operational procedures.
- Prepare procedural documents.
- Create models of engineering designs or methods.
|Title||Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.|
|Related Experience||A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.|
|Job Zone Examples||Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include accountants, sales managers, database administrators, graphic designers, chemists, art directors, and cost estimators.|
|SVP Range||(7.0 to < 8.0)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
This occupation may require a background in the following science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) educational disciplines:
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|17-2199.07||Photonics Engineers Bright Outlook Green|
|17-3029.06||Manufacturing Engineering Technologists|
|19-1012.00||Food Scientists and Technologists|
|19-1021.00||Biochemists and Biophysicists|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2015)||$41.45 hourly, $86,220 annual|
|Employment (2014)||22,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2014-2024)||Much faster than average (14% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2014-2024)||10,900|
|Top industries (2014)||
Manufacturing (44% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2015 wage data and 2014-2024 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2014-2024). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Biomedical engineers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition.
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) , 8401 Corporate Dr., Suite 225, Landover, MD 20785-2224. Phone: (301) 459-1999. Fax: (301) 459-2444.
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE EMBS) , 445 Hoes Ln., Piscataway, NJ 08855-1331. Phone: (732) 981-3433. Fax: (732) 465-6435.