Summary Report for:
11-3051.05 - Methane/Landfill Gas Collection System Operators
Direct daily operations, maintenance, or repair of landfill gas projects, including maintenance of daily logs, determination of service priorities, and compliance with reporting requirements.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Monitor and control liquid or gas landfill extraction systems.
- Oversee gas collection landfill operations, including leachate and gas management or rail operations.
- Develop or enforce procedures for normal operation, start-up, or shut-down of methane gas collection systems.
- Evaluate landfill gas collection service requirements to meet operational plans and productivity goals.
- Implement landfill operational and emergency procedures.
- Inspect landfill or conduct site audits to ensure adherence to safety and environmental regulations.
- Maintain records for landfill gas collection systems to demonstrate compliance with safety and environmental laws, regulations, or policies.
- Monitor gas collection systems emissions data, including biomethane or nitrous oxide levels.
- Monitor landfill permit requirements for updates.
- Operate computerized control panels to manage gas compression operations.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
|Anemometers — Micro anemometers|
|Combustible or hazardous gas detectors for power generators — Combustible gas monitors|
|Diesel generators — Diesel reciprocating engine generator sets|
|Flare or vent stacks — Enclosed flares; Open flares|
|Oxygen gas analyzers — Oxygen analyzers|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Analytical or scientific software — Landfill gas analysis software; Landtec System Software LFG Pro|
|Electronic mail software — Email software|
|Enterprise resource planning ERP software — SAP software; WorkTech MAXIMO|
|Facilities management software — Computerized maintenance management system CMMS software|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
Interest code: CER
|Conventional — Conventional occupations frequently involve following set procedures and routines. These occupations can include working with data and details more than with ideas. Usually there is a clear line of authority to follow.|
|Enterprising — Enterprising occupations frequently involve starting up and carrying out projects. These occupations can involve leading people and making many decisions. Sometimes they require risk taking and often deal with business.|
|Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.|
|Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical.|
|Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
|Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
Employment data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
Industry data collected from Industrial Production Managers.
|Median wages (2012)||$42.88 hourly, $89,190 annual|
|Employment (2012)||173,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2012-2022)||Decline (-3% or lower)|
|Projected job openings (2012-2022)||31,400|
|Top industries (2012)|
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2012-2022 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2012-2022). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
for Methane/Landfill Gas Collection System Operators
State & National Job Banks
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Industrial Production Managers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition.