Summary Report for:
11-9199.10 - Wind Energy Project Managers
Lead or manage the development and evaluation of potential wind energy business opportunities, including environmental studies, permitting, and proposals. May also manage construction of projects.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Create wind energy project plans, including project scope, goals, tasks, resources, schedules, costs, contingencies, or other project information.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of applications for environmental, building, or other required permits.
- Coordinate or direct development, energy assessment, engineering, or construction activities to ensure that wind project needs and objectives are met.
- Develop scope of work for wind project functions, such as design, site assessment, environmental studies, surveying, or field support services.
- Manage wind project costs to stay within budget limits.
- Prepare wind project documentation, including diagrams or layouts.
- Provide technical support for the design, construction, or commissioning of wind farm projects.
- Provide verbal or written project status reports to project teams, management, subcontractors, customers, or owners.
- Review civil design, engineering, or construction technical documentation to ensure compliance with applicable government or industrial codes, standards, requirements, or regulations.
- Review or evaluate proposals or bids to make recommendations regarding awarding of contracts.
- Update schedules, estimates, forecasts, or budgets for wind projects.
- Lead or support negotiations involving tax agreements or abatements, power purchase agreements, land use, or interconnection agreements.
- Manage site assessments or environmental studies for wind fields.
- Prepare requests for proposals (RFPs) for wind project construction or equipment acquisition.
- Supervise the work of subcontractors or consultants to ensure quality and conformance to specifications or budgets.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
- Anemometers — Cup anemometers; Propeller anemometers; Recording anemometers
- Barometers — Barometric pressure sensors
- Desktop computers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video cameras
- Digital cameras — Digital still cameras
- Global positioning system GPS receiver — Handheld global positioning system GPS units
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Personal computers
- Portable data input terminals — Dataloggers
- Soil core sampling apparatus — Soil samplers
- Solar radiation surface observing apparatus — Pyranometers
- Temperature transmitters — Electronic temperature sensors
- Weather stations — Portable meteorological stations
- Wind surface observing apparatus — Wind vanes
Technology used in this occupation:
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD software
- Data base user interface and query software — Oracle software
- Electronic mail software — Microsoft Outlook
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — SAP software
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Map creation software — ESRI ArcGIS software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Microsoft Project ; Oracle Primavera Systems software
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Video conferencing software — Web conferencing software
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
Detailed Work Activities
- Review documents or materials for compliance with policies or regulations.
- Manage environmental sustainability projects.
- Estimate green project costs.
- Manage construction activities.
- Supervise workers performing environmentally sustainable activities.
- Manage organizational or project budgets.
- Prepare forms or applications.
- Evaluate environmental or sustainability projects.
- Negotiate contracts for environmental remediation, green energy, or renewable resources.
- Communicate green energy production information.
- Document organizational or operational procedures.
- Develop operating strategies, plans, or procedures for green or sustainable operations.
- Advise others on green energy or related technologies.
Interest code: ECI
- Enterprising — Enterprising occupations frequently involve starting up and carrying out projects. These occupations can involve leading people and making many decisions. Sometimes they require risk taking and often deal with business.
- Conventional — Conventional occupations frequently involve following set procedures and routines. These occupations can include working with data and details more than with ideas. Usually there is a clear line of authority to follow.
- Investigative — Investigative occupations frequently involve working with ideas, and require an extensive amount of thinking. These occupations can involve searching for facts and figuring out problems mentally.
- Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.
- Independence — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to work on their own and make decisions. Corresponding needs are Creativity, Responsibility and Autonomy.
- Recognition — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer advancement, potential for leadership, and are often considered prestigious. Corresponding needs are Advancement, Authority, Recognition and Social Status.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Managers, All Other.
Employment data collected from Managers, All Other.
Industry data collected from Managers, All Other.
|Median wages (2015)||$50.41 hourly, $104,850 annual|
|Employment (2014)||986,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2014-2024)||Slower than average (2% to 4%)|
|Projected job openings (2014-2024)||255,400|
|Top industries (2014)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2015 wage data and 2014-2024 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2014-2024). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.