36 matches for animal science
|O*NET-SOC Title||1 match|
|Alternate Occupation Titles||8 matches|
|O*NET-SOC Description||1 match|
|Detailed Work Activities||8 matches|
- Animal Breeders
Alternate Occupation Titles
- Animal Breeder
- Animal Care Head
- Animal Care Technician
- Animal Husbandman
- Animal Husbandry Technician
- Animal Manager
- Animal Technician
- Large Animal Husbandry Technician
- Select and breed animals according to their genealogy, characteristics, and offspring. May require knowledge of artificial insemination techniques and equipment use. May involve keeping records on heats, birth intervals, or pedigree.
- Adjust controls to maintain specific building temperatures required for animals' health and safety.
- Arrange for sale of animals and eggs to hospitals, research centers, pet shops, and food processing plants.
- Attach rubber collecting sheaths to genitals of tethered bull and stimulate animal's organ to induce ejaculation.
- Bathe and groom animals.
- Brand, tattoo, or tag animals to allow animal identification.
- Clip or shear hair on animals.
- Examine animals to detect symptoms of illness or injury.
- Exercise animals to keep them in healthy condition.
- Exhibit animals at shows.
- Feed and water animals, and clean and disinfect pens, cages, yards, and hutches.
- Inject prepared animal semen into female animals for breeding purposes, by inserting nozzle of syringe into vagina and depressing syringe plunger.
- Maintain logs of semen specimens used and animals bred.
- Observe animals in heat to detect approach of estrus and exercise animals to induce or hasten estrus, if necessary.
- Perform procedures such as animal dehorning or castration.
- Place vaccines in drinking water, inject vaccines, or dust air with vaccine powder to protect animals from diseases.
- Record animal characteristics such as weights, growth patterns, and diets.
- Select animals to be bred, and semen specimens to be used, according to knowledge of animals, genealogies, traits, and desired offspring characteristics.
- Treat minor injuries and ailments and contact veterinarians to obtain treatment for animals with serious illnesses or injuries.
Detailed Work Activities
- Care for animals.
- Examine animals to detect illness, injury or other problems.
- Monitor animal behavior or condition.
- Perform animal breeding procedures.
- Prepare materials or solutions for animal or plant use.
- Provide care for animals.
- Remove skin or other body parts from animals.
- Treat animal injuries or illnesses.
Learn more on the