17-3029.10 - Fuel Cell Technicians
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green New & Emerging occupation — the impact of green economy activities and technologies is sufficient to create the need for unique work and worker requirements, which results in the generation of new occupations.
Fuel cell technicians work in the following green economy sectors:
- Transportation — This sector covers activities related to increasing efficiency and/or reducing environmental impact of various modes of transportation including trucking, mass transit, and freight rail.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Assemble fuel cells or fuel cell stacks according to mechanical or electrical assembly documents or schematics.
- Build fuel cell prototypes, following engineering specifications.
- Calibrate equipment used for fuel cell testing.
- Collect or maintain fuel cell test data.
- Conduct tests or provide technical support for tests of prototype fuel cell engines or thermal management systems.
- Document or analyze fuel cell test data, using spreadsheets or other computer software.
- Install or test spark ignition (SI) or compression ignition (CI) engines.
- Install, calibrate, or operate emissions analyzers, cell assist software, fueling systems, or air conditioning systems in engine testing systems.
- Order fuel cell testing materials.
- Perform electrochemical performance or durability testing of solid oxide fuel cells.
- Perform routine or preventive maintenance on fuel cell test equipment.
- Perform routine vehicle maintenance procedures, such as part replacements or tune-ups.
- Recommend improvements to fuel cell design or performance.
- Report results of fuel cell tests.
- Test fuel cells or fuel cell stacks, using complex electronic equipment.
- Troubleshoot fuel cell test equipment.