Certification: National Master of Unlimited GL and Inland

100 Forbes Drive Martinsburg, WV 25404-7120

Master of Unlimited Tonnage upon Great Lakes and Inland Waters. This is an advanced-level merchant mariner credential. The general requirements for this credential are TWIC Card (Identification, Fingerprints, Citizenship, Social Security number, etc), CG-719B Application, NDR Consent & Check, Oath, 3 letters of recommendation, photograph (supplied by TSA), SSEB Screening complete, age of 21 or over, CG-719K Physical Exam, Medical Tab in MMLD, Drug Testing Compliance, Mariner Fees, and Sea Service Letters or Discharges. Sea service requirements include recency- 90 days in the past 3 years on vessels. Great Lakes, 360 days of service as Mate or FCP while acting in the capacity of 1st Mate of GL vessels over 1600 GRT; or 720 days of service as Master INL vessels over 1600 GRT; or 360 days of service upon GL while holding an Officer endorsement as Mate or FCP of GL & INL of vessels over 1600 GRT, of which: 180 days of service as 1st Mate, and Service as 2nd Mate accepted: 2 for 1; for a maximum of 180 days. Inland, 360 days service as FCP (other than canal & small lakes routes) or Mate of GL or INL steam/motor vessels over 1600 GRT; or 720 days of service as Wheelsman or QM while holding a Mate or FCP endorsement. There are also tonnage requirements. Other requirements include completing a First Aid course, CPR course, and approved basic & advanced firefighting courses. All candidates must complete an examination.

More than two years of education or training after high school required?
More than two years of work experience required?
Oral or Written Exam Required?
Renewal Required?
Every 5 Year(s)
Renew through Continuing Educational Units(CEU)?
Renew through Re-Examination?
Renew through Continuing Professional Development(CPD)?
Does applicant have choice of at least two options from above for renewal (CEU, CPD, or exam)?


Your local Regional Exam Centers external site(REC) provide valuable resources toward obtaining a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC).


The certification has an education level of an Associates of Arts or Associates of Sciences degree or higher and has a work experience requirement of more than 2 years, or requires obtaining a ‘core’ level certification from the same organization.

  • This certification is related to military occupational specialties.