Details Report for:
51-8099.02 - Methane/Landfill Gas Generation System Technicians
Monitor, operate, and maintain landfill gas collection system components and environmental monitoring and control systems.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Operate landfill gas, methane, or natural gas fueled electrical generation systems.
- Perform routine maintenance or minor repairs to landfill gas collection and power generation systems, including equipment such as pneumatic pumps, blower or flare systems, and condensate management systems.
- Balance individual gas extraction wells at landfill gas facilities.
- Diagnose or troubleshoot problems with methane or landfill gas collection systems.
- Download landfill gas well field monitoring data.
- Measure landfill gas vegetative covering, installing additional covering as required.
- Measure liquid levels in landfill gas extraction wells.
- Monitor landfill well fields periodically to ensure proper functioning and performance.
- Prepare and submit compliance, operational, and safety forms or reports.
- Read, interpret, and adjust monitoring equipment, such as flow meters and pressure or vacuum gauges.
- Record and maintain log of well-head gauge pressure readings.
- Verify that well field monitoring data conforms to applicable regulations.
- Analyze the layout, instrumentation, or function of electrical generation or transmission facilities.
- Monitor landfill gas perimeter probes to identify landfill gas migration.
- Perform landfill surface scans to determine overall effectiveness of the landfill gas site.
- Repair or replace landfill gas piping.
- Trace electrical circuitry for landfill gas buildings to ensure compliance of electrical systems with applicable codes or laws.
- Analytical or scientific software — Landfill gas analysis software; Landtec System Software LFG Pro
- Electronic mail software — Email software
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Adjustable widemouth pliers
- Adjustable wrenches — Adjustable hand wrenches
- Air compressors
- Air samplers or collectors — Air samplers
- All terrain vehicles tracked or wheeled — All terrain vehicles ATV
- Anemometers — Micro anemometers
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Combustible or hazardous gas detectors for power generators — Combustible gas monitors
- Desktop computers
- Dump trucks
- Flare or vent stacks — Enclosed flares; Open flares
- Flowmeters — Flow monitoring equipment
- Gas detectors — Gas leak detectors
- Gas generators — Portable gas-powered generators
- Grease guns — Grease dispensing guns
- Hand pumps — Hand sampling pumps
- Infrared imagers — Infrared analyzers
- Light trucks or sport utility vehicles — Utility trucks
- Multi gas monitors — Multiple gas monitors
- Notebook computers
- Oxygen gas analyzers — Oxygen analyzers
- Personal computers
- Portable data input terminals — Dataloggers
- Pressure sensors — Pressure gauges
- Safety valves — Pressure valves
- Screwdrivers — Phillips head screwdrivers; Straight screwdrivers
- Skid steer loaders
- Temperature transmitters — Temperature sensors
- Water pumps
- Water samplers
- Monitor conditions at energy-producing landfills.
- Operate natural gas generation equipment.
- Maintain sustainable energy production equipment.
- Record operational or production data.
- Diagnose equipment malfunctions.
- Download data.
- Measure stock or liquid levels in sustainable fuel production systems.
- Replace worn equipment components.
- Test electrical equipment or systems to ensure proper functioning.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Plant and System Operators, All Other.
Employment data for Plant and System Operators, All Other.
Industry data for Plant and System Operators, All Other.
|Median wages (2019)||$28.07 hourly, $58,390 annual|
|Employment (2018)||12,600 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Little or no change (-1% to 1%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||1,400|
|Top industries (2018)||
Government (29% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.