- Observe gauges and thermometers to determine if the mixing chamber temperature is within specified limits, and turn valves to control the temperature.
- Test food product samples for moisture content, acidity level, specific gravity, or butter-fat content, and continue processing until desired levels are reached.
- Examine, feel, and taste product samples during production to evaluate quality, color, texture, flavor, and bouquet, and document the results.
- Inspect and pack the final product.
||Food and Tobacco Roasting, Baking, and Drying Machine Operators and Tenders
- Observe, feel, taste, or otherwise examine products during and after processing to ensure conformance to standards.
- Set temperature and time controls, light ovens, burners, driers, or roasters, and start equipment, such as conveyors, cylinders, blowers, driers, or pumps.
- Test products for moisture content, using moisture meters.
||Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders
- Set temperature, pressure, and time controls, and start conveyers, machines, or pumps.
- Collect and examine product samples during production to test them for quality, color, content, consistency, viscosity, acidity, or specific gravity.
||Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adjust controls to maintain temperatures and heating times, using thermal instruments and charts, dials and gauges of furnaces, and color of stock in furnaces to make setting determinations.
- Reduce heat when processing is complete to allow parts to cool in furnaces or machinery.
||Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, and Kettle Operators and Tenders
- Press and adjust controls to activate, set, and regulate equipment according to specifications.
- Melt or refine metal before casting, calculating required temperatures, and observe metal color, adjusting controls as necessary to maintain required temperatures.