Related occupations for task:
Shape, trim, or touch up roughed-out designs with appropriate tools to finish carvings.
||Etchers and Engravers
- Engrave and print patterns, designs, etchings, trademarks, or lettering onto flat or curved surfaces of a wide variety of metal, glass, plastic, or paper items, using hand tools or hand-held power tools.
- Cut outlines of impressions with gravers, and remove excess material with knives.
- Remove wax or tape from etched glassware by using a stylus or knife, or by immersing ware in hot water.
- Guide stylus over template, causing cutting tool to duplicate design or letters on workpiece.
- Sandblast exposed areas of glass to cut designs in surfaces, using spray guns.
- Carve designs and letters onto metal for transfer to other surfaces.
||Molding and Casting Workers
- Trim or remove excess material, using scrapers, knives, or band saws.
- Engrave or stamp identifying symbols, letters, or numbers on products.
- Remove excess materials and level and smooth wet mold mixtures.
||Precious Metal Workers
- Trim gates and sharp points from cast parts, using band saws.
- Engrave decorative lines on items, using engraving tools.
- Sand interior mold parts to remove glaze residue, apply new glaze to molds, and allow it to dry for mold assembly.
||Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Trim edges of books to size, using cutting machines, book trimming machines, or hand cutters.
- Perform highly skilled hand finishing binding operations, such as grooving or lettering.
- Mark, engrave, or emboss designs on metal pieces such as castings, wire, or jewelry, following specifications.
- Cut designs in molds or other materials to be used as models in the fabrication of metal and jewelry products.
See more related occupations >>