||Tool and Die Makers
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, or grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.
- Cut, shape, and trim blanks or blocks to specified lengths or shapes, using power saws, power shears, rules, and hand tools.
||Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Move machine controls to index workpieces, and to adjust machines for pre-selected operational settings.
- Activate machine start-up switches to grind, lap, hone, debar, shear, or cut workpieces, according to specifications.
- Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic workpieces.
- Set and adjust machine controls according to product specifications, using knowledge of machine operation.
||Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Set up and operate fabricating machines, such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, grinders, and drill presses, to bend, cut, form, punch, drill, or otherwise form and assemble metal components.
- Remove high spots and cut bevels, using hand files, portable grinders, and cutting torches.
- Hammer, chip, and grind workpieces to cut, bend, and straighten metal.
- Straighten warped or bent parts, using sledges, hand torches, straightening presses, or bulldozers.
||Jewelers and Precious Stone and Metal Workers
- Cut and file pieces of jewelry such as rings, brooches, bracelets, and lockets.
- Pierce and cut open designs in ornamentation, using hand drills and scroll saws.
- Lay out designs on metal stock, and cut along markings to fabricate pieces used to cast metal molds.
||Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grind out burrs or sharp edges, using portable grinders, speed lathes, or polishing jacks.
- Hand-form, cut, or finish workpieces, using tools such as table saws, hand sledges, or anvils.
- Sharpen dulled blades, using bench grinders, abrasive wheels, or lathes.