Summary Report for:
51-8099.02 - Methane/Landfill Gas Generation System Technicians
Monitor, operate, and maintain landfill gas collection system components and environmental monitoring and control systems.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Operate landfill gas, methane, or natural gas fueled electrical generation systems.
- Perform routine maintenance or minor repairs to landfill gas collection and power generation systems, including equipment such as pneumatic pumps, blower or flare systems, and condensate management systems.
- Balance individual gas extraction wells at landfill gas facilities.
- Diagnose or troubleshoot problems with methane or landfill gas collection systems.
- Download landfill gas well field monitoring data.
- Measure landfill gas vegetative covering, installing additional covering as required.
- Measure liquid levels in landfill gas extraction wells.
- Monitor landfill well fields periodically to ensure proper functioning and performance.
- Prepare and submit compliance, operational, and safety forms or reports.
- Read, interpret, and adjust monitoring equipment, such as flow meters and pressure or vacuum gauges.
- Record and maintain log of well-head gauge pressure readings.
- Verify that well field monitoring data conforms to applicable regulations.
- Analyze the layout, instrumentation, or function of electrical generation or transmission facilities.
- Monitor landfill gas perimeter probes to identify landfill gas migration.
- Perform landfill surface scans to determine overall effectiveness of the landfill gas site.
- Repair or replace landfill gas piping.
- Trace electrical circuitry for landfill gas buildings to ensure compliance of electrical systems with applicable codes or laws.
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
- Adjustable widemouth pliers
- Adjustable wrenches — Adjustable hand wrenches
- Air compressors
- Air samplers or collectors — Air samplers
- All terrain vehicles tracked or wheeled — All terrain vehicles ATV
- Anemometers — Micro anemometers
- Claw hammer — Claw hammers
- Combustible or hazardous gas detectors for power generators — Combustible gas monitors
- Desktop computers
- Dump trucks
- Flare or vent stacks — Enclosed flares; Open flares
- Flowmeters — Flow monitoring equipment
- Gas detectors — Gas leak detectors
- Gas generators — Portable gas-powered generators
- Grease guns — Grease dispensing guns
- Hand pumps — Hand sampling pumps
- Infrared imagers — Infrared analyzers
- Light trucks or sport utility vehicles — Utility trucks
- Multi gas monitors — Multiple gas monitors
- Notebook computers
- Oxygen gas analyzers — Oxygen analyzers
- Personal computers
- Portable data input terminals — Dataloggers
- Pressure sensors — Pressure gauges
- Safety valves — Pressure valves
- Screwdrivers — Phillips head screwdrivers; Straight screwdrivers
- Skid steer loaders
- Temperature transmitters — Temperature sensors
- Water pumps
- Water samplers
Technology used in this occupation:
- Analytical or scientific software — Landfill gas analysis software; Landtec System Software LFG Pro
- Electronic mail software — Email software
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
Detailed Work Activities
- Monitor conditions at energy-producing landfills.
- Operate natural gas generation equipment.
- Maintain sustainable energy production equipment.
- Record operational or production data.
- Diagnose equipment malfunctions.
- Download data.
- Measure stock or liquid levels in sustainable fuel production systems.
- Replace worn equipment components.
- Test electrical equipment or systems to ensure proper functioning.
Interest code: RCI
- Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
- Conventional — Conventional occupations frequently involve following set procedures and routines. These occupations can include working with data and details more than with ideas. Usually there is a clear line of authority to follow.
- Investigative — Investigative occupations frequently involve working with ideas, and require an extensive amount of thinking. These occupations can involve searching for facts and figuring out problems mentally.
- Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical.
- Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.
- Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wages data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
Employment data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
Industry data collected from Plant and System Operators, All Other.
|Median wages (2015)||$26.70 hourly, $55,540 annual|
|Employment (2014)||12,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2014-2024)||Decline (-2% or lower)|
|Projected job openings (2014-2024)||4,500|
|Top industries (2014)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2015 wage data and 2014-2024 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2014-2024). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.