- Construct preliminary models of wax, metal, clay, or plaster, and form sample castings in molds.
- Fabricate, modify, or repair jigs, fixtures, and hand tools such as scrapers, cutters, gougers, and shapers.
- Design and fabricate molds, models, and machine accessories, and modify hand tools used to cast metal and jewelry pieces.
- Assemble and secure mold sections used to cast metal articles and pieces.
- Build sand molds in flasks, following patterns and heat flasks to dry and harden molds, using furnaces or torches.
||Foundry Mold and Coremakers
- Form and assemble slab cores around patterns and position wire in mold sections to reinforce molds, using hand tools and glue.
- Position cores into lower sections of molds, and reassemble molds for pouring.
- Tend machines that bond cope and drag together to form completed shell molds.
- Rotate sweep boards around spindles to make symmetrical molds for convex impressions.
||Molding and Casting Workers
- Assemble, insert, and adjust wires, tubes, cores, fittings, rods, or patterns into molds, using hand tools and depth gauges.
- Operate molding machines that compact sand in flasks to form molds.
- Construct or form molds for use in casting metal, clay, or plaster objects, using plaster, fiberglass, rubber, casting machines, patterns, or flasks.
||Tool and Die Makers
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Design jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products.
- Develop and design new tools and dies, using computer-aided design software.
||Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Clamp metal and plywood strips around dies or patterns to form molds.
- Shape molds to specified contours, using sand, and trowels and related tools.
- Assemble shell halves, patterns, and foundry flasks, and reinforce core boxes, using glue, clamps, wire, bolts, rams, or machines.