- Cash checks and pay out money after verifying that signatures are correct, that written and numerical amounts agree, and that accounts have sufficient funds.
- Receive checks and cash for deposit, verify amounts, and check accuracy of deposit slips.
- Balance currency, coin, and checks in cash drawers at ends of shifts and calculate daily transactions, using computers, calculators, or adding machines.
- Examine checks for endorsements and to verify other information, such as dates, bank names, identification of the persons receiving payments, and the legality of the documents.
- Prepare and verify cashier's checks.
- Identify transaction mistakes when debits and credits do not balance.
- Receive mortgage, loan, or public utility bill payments, verifying payment dates and amounts due.
- Count, verify, and post armored car deposits.
- Monitor bank vaults to ensure cash balances are correct.
- Compute financial fees, interest, and service charges.
||Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Perform financial calculations, such as amounts due, interest charges, balances, discounts, equity, and principal.
- Debit, credit, and total accounts on computer spreadsheets and databases, using specialized accounting software.
- Match order forms with invoices, and record the necessary information.
- Prepare bank deposits by compiling data from cashiers, verifying and balancing receipts, and sending cash, checks, or other forms of payment to banks.
- Compute deductions for income and social security taxes.
- Calculate and prepare checks for utilities, taxes, and other payments.
- Compare computer printouts to manually maintained journals to determine if they match.
- Calculate, prepare, and issue bills, invoices, account statements, and other financial statements according to established procedures.
||Insurance Policy Processing Clerks
- Review and verify data, such as age, name, address, and principal sum and value of property on insurance applications and policies.
- Calculate premiums, refunds, commissions, adjustments, and new reserve requirements, using insurance rate standards.
- Check computations of interest accrued, premiums due, and settlement surrender on loan values.
- Compare suppliers' bills with bids and purchase orders to verify accuracy.
- Review requisition orders to verify accuracy, terminology, and specifications.
- Verify ownership and transaction information and dividend distribution instructions to ensure conformance with governmental regulations, using stock records and reports.
- Compute total holdings, dividends, interest, transfer taxes, brokerage fees, or commissions and allocate appropriate payments to customers.