Summary Report for:
13-1199.07 - Security Management Specialists
Conduct security assessments for organizations, and design security systems and processes. May specialize in areas such as physical security or the safety of employees and facilities.
Sample of reported job titles: Physical Security Engineer, Physical Security Specialist, Security Analyst, Security Consultant, Security Specialist
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Assess the nature and level of physical security threats so that the scope of the problem can be determined.
- Budget and schedule security design work.
- Conduct security audits to identify potential vulnerabilities related to physical security or staff safety.
- Design security policies, programs, or practices to ensure adequate security relating to alarm response, access card use, and other security needs.
- Design, implement, or establish requirements for security systems, video surveillance, motion detection, or closed-circuit television systems to ensure proper installation and operation.
- Develop conceptual designs of security systems.
- Develop or review specifications for design or construction of security systems.
- Engineer, install, maintain, or repair security systems, programmable logic controls, or other security-related electronic systems.
- Inspect fire, intruder detection, or other security systems.
- Inspect physical security design features, installations, or programs to ensure compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Interview witnesses or suspects to identify persons responsible for security breaches or to establish losses, pursue prosecutions, or obtain restitution.
- Monitor tapes or digital recordings to identify the source of losses.
- Monitor the work of contractors in the design, construction, and startup phases of security systems.
- Outline system security criteria for pre-bid meetings with clients and companies to ensure comprehensiveness and appropriateness for implementation.
- Perform risk analyses so that appropriate countermeasures can be developed.
- Prepare documentation for case reports or court proceedings.
- Prepare, maintain, or update security procedures, security system drawings, or related documentation.
- Provide system design and integration recommendations.
- Recommend improvements in security systems or procedures.
- Respond to emergency situations on an on-call basis.
- Review design drawings or technical documents for completeness, correctness, or appropriateness.
- Test security measures for final acceptance and implement or provide procedures for ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the measures.
- Train personnel in security procedures or use of security equipment.
- Access software — Tivoli
- Administration software — Cisco Systems CiscoWorks
- Business intelligence and data analysis software — Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition
- Data base reporting software — SAP Crystal Reports
- Data base user interface and query software — Database software
- Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — SAP
- Enterprise system management software — ArcSight Enterprise Threat and Risk Management; Splunk Enterprise
- Facilities management software — Physical access management software
- Gateway software — Secure web gateway software
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Microsoft Visio ; Photo editing software
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Network security and virtual private network VPN equipment software — Firewall software; Kismet; TrueCrypt; Virtual private networking VPN software (see all 5 examples)
- Network security or virtual private network VPN management software — Intrusion prevention system IPS
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Linux ; Microsoft Windows
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Microsoft SharePoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Transaction security and virus protection software — McAfee; Metasploit; Nmap; Symantec (see all 6 examples)
- Transaction server software — Customer information control system CICS
- Video conferencing software — Videoconferencing software
- Web page creation and editing software — Social networking software
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Alarm systems — Intrusion detection systems
- Audioconferencing systems — Audioconferencing equipment
- Card key lock — Card readers
- Closed circuit television CCTV system — Closed circuit television CCTV monitoring systems
- Computer servers — Computer server equipment
- Desktop computers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video recorders; Network video recorders
- Magnetometer geophysical instruments — Magnetometers
- Motion detectors — Approach detection systems
- Network routers — Computer network routers
- Personal computers
- Security or access control systems — Electronic access control systems; Mechanical access control systems
- Tablet computers
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- X ray radiography examination equipment — X ray screening equipment
Detailed Work Activities
- Develop technical specifications for systems or equipment.
- Advise others on business or operational matters.
- Assess risks to business operations.
- Inspect facilities or equipment to ensure specifications are met.
- Analyze budgetary or accounting data.
- Design electronic or computer equipment or instrumentation.
- Develop diagrams or flow charts of system operation.
- Develop safety standards, policies, or procedures.
- Document information related to legal proceedings.
- Establish organizational guidelines or policies.
- Implement organizational process or policy changes.
- Inspect facilities to ensure compliance with safety, quality, or service standards.
- Install instrumentation or electronic equipment or systems.
- Interview witnesses, suspects, or claimants.
- Investigate legal issues.
- Maintain electronic equipment.
- Monitor operations to ensure compliance with safety or security policies or regulations.
- Prepare financial documents.
- Repair electronic equipment.
- Respond to emergencies to provide assistance.
- Supervise employees.
- Train personnel in organizational or compliance procedures.
- Verify accuracy of records.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Project Management Specialists and Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
Employment data for Project Management Specialists and Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
Industry data for Project Management Specialists and Business Operations Specialists, All Other.
|Median wages (2019)||$35.37 hourly, $73,570 annual|
|Employment (2019)||1,361,800 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Faster than average (5% to 7%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||128,000|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.