Details Report for:
13-1131.00 - Fundraisers
Organize activities to raise funds or otherwise solicit and gather monetary donations or other gifts for an organization. May design and produce promotional materials. May also raise awareness of the organization's work, goals, and financial needs.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Attend community events, meetings, or conferences to promote organizational goals or solicit donations or sponsorships.
- Contact corporate representatives, government officials, or community leaders to increase awareness of organizational causes, activities, or needs.
- Create or update donor databases.
- Design or produce materials such as posters, Web sites, or newsletters to promote, market, or advertise fundraising events.
- Develop corporate fundraising programs, such as employer gift-matching.
- Develop fundraising activity plans that maximize participation or contributions and minimize costs.
- Develop or implement fundraising activities, such as annual giving campaigns or direct mail programs.
- Develop strategies to encourage new or increased contributions.
- Direct or coordinate web-based fundraising activities, such as online auctions or donation Web sites.
- Direct or supervise fundraising staff, including volunteer staff members.
- Establish fundraising or participation goals for special events or specified time periods.
- Explain the tax advantages of contributions to potential donors.
- Identify and build relationships with potential donors.
- Monitor budgets, expense reports, or other financial data for fundraising organizations.
- Monitor progress of fundraising drives.
- Plan and direct special events for fundraising, such as silent auctions, dances, golf events, or walks.
- Recruit sponsors, participants, or volunteers for fundraising events.
- Secure commitments of participation or donation from individuals or corporate donors.
- Solicit cash or in-kind donations or sponsorships from individual, business, or government donors.
- Write speeches, press releases, or other promotional materials to increase awareness of the causes, missions, or goals of organizations seeking funds.
- Compile or develop materials to submit to granting or other funding organizations.
- Conduct research to identify the goals, net worth, history of charitable donations, or other data related to potential donors, potential investors, or general donor markets.
- Coordinate transportation or delivery of materials, supplies, or donations for fundraising events.
- Develop and maintain media contact lists.
- Prepare materials for charitable events, such as fundraising envelopes, bid sheets, or gift bags.
- Secure speakers for charitable events, community meetings, or conferences to increase awareness of charitable, nonprofit, or political causes.
- Write and send letters of thanks to donors.
- Write reports or prepare presentations to communicate fundraising program data.
Tools used in this occupation:
|Automobiles or cars — Passenger cars|
|Facsimile machines — Fax machines|
|Laser printers — Computer laser printers|
|Notebook computers — Laptop computers|
|Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment|
Technology used in this occupation:
|Customer relationship management CRM software — AudienceView Ticketing; Blackbaud The Raiser's Edge; SofterWare DonorPerfect; TheaterMania OvationTix (see all 8 examples)|
|Data base reporting software — SAP BusinessObjects Crystal Reports|
|Data base user interface and query software — FileMaker Pro software; Foundatino Directory Online (FDO); Structured query language SQL; WealthEngine Findwealth|
|Desktop publishing software — Adobe Systems Adobe PageMaker; Microsoft Publisher|
|Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook|
|Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Tessitura Network Tessitura Software|
|Graphics or photo imaging software — Corel CorelDraw Graphics Suite|
|Instant messaging software — Twitter|
|Internet browser software — Web browser software|
|Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint|
|Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel|
|Web page creation and editing software — Facebook|
|Word processing software — Microsoft Word|
|95||Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.|
|95||Relationships — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to provide service to others and work with co-workers in a friendly non-competitive environment. Corresponding needs are Co-workers, Moral Values and Social Service.|
|83||Independence — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to work on their own and make decisions. Corresponding needs are Creativity, Responsibility and Autonomy.|
|72||Working Conditions — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer job security and good working conditions. Corresponding needs are Activity, Compensation, Independence, Security, Variety and Working Conditions.|
|61||Recognition — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer advancement, potential for leadership, and are often considered prestigious. Corresponding needs are Advancement, Authority, Recognition and Social Status.|
|50||Support — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer supportive management that stands behind employees. Corresponding needs are Company Policies, Supervision: Human Relations and Supervision: Technical.|
Wages & Employment Trends
Employment data collected from Sales and Related Workers, All Other.
Industry data collected from Sales and Related Workers, All Other.
|Median wages (2012)||$24.37 hourly, $50,680 annual|
|Employment (2010)||179,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2010-2020)||Average (10% to 19%)|
|Projected job openings (2010-2020)||73,900|
|Top industries (2010)||
Retail Trade (23% employed in this sector)
Wholesale Trade (10%)
State & National
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2012 wage data and 2010-2020 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2010-2020). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.