Summary Report for:
11-2032.00 - Public Relations Managers
Plan, direct, or coordinate activities designed to create or maintain a favorable public image or raise issue awareness for their organization or client.
Sample of reported job titles: Communications Director, Communications Manager, Community Relations Director, Development Director, Public Affairs Director, Public Relations Director (PR Director), Public Relations Manager (PR Manager)
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Assign, supervise, and review the activities of public relations staff.
- Confer with labor relations managers to develop internal communications that keep employees informed of company activities.
- Design and edit promotional publications, such as brochures.
- Develop and maintain the company's corporate image and identity, which includes the use of logos and signage.
- Develop, implement, or maintain crisis communication plans.
- Direct activities of external agencies, establishments, or departments that develop and implement communication strategies and information programs.
- Draft speeches for company executives and arrange interviews and other forms of contact for them.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, government officials, and media representatives and use these relationships to develop new business opportunities.
- Evaluate advertising and promotion programs for compatibility with public relations efforts.
- Facilitate consumer relations or the relationship between parts of the company, such as the managers and employees, or different branch offices.
- Formulate policies and procedures related to public information programs, working with public relations executives.
- Identify main client groups and audiences, determine the best way to communicate publicity information to them, and develop and implement a communication plan.
- Maintain company archives.
- Manage communications budgets.
- Manage in-house communication courses.
- Manage special events, such as sponsorship of races, parties introducing new products, or other activities the firm supports, to gain public attention through the media without advertising directly.
- Observe and report on social, economic, and political trends that might affect employers.
- Produce films and other video products, regulate their distribution, and operate film library.
- Respond to requests for information about employers' activities or status.
- Write interesting and effective press releases, prepare information for media kits, and develop and maintain company internet or intranet web pages.
- Accounting software — Fund accounting software
- Business intelligence and data analysis software — MicroStrategy
- Customer relationship management CRM software — Blackbaud eTapestry; Blackbaud The Raiser's Edge; Oracle Eloqua; Salesforce software (see all 5 examples)
- Data base management system software — Teradata Database
- Data base user interface and query software — Airtable; Data entry software ; Microsoft Access ; Yardi (see all 5 examples)
- Data mining software — Google Analytics
- Desktop publishing software — Adobe Systems Adobe Distiller; Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign ; Adobe Systems Adobe PageMaker; Microsoft Publisher (see all 5 examples)
- Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Electronic mail software — Google Gmail; IBM Notes ; Novell GroupWise
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Microsoft Dynamics ; Oracle PeopleSoft Financials
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Cloud ; Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator ; Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop ; SmugMug Flickr (see all 6 examples)
- Human resources software — Human resource management software HRMS
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Office suite software — Corel WordPerfect Office Suite; Google Drive ; Microsoft Office
- Presentation software — Mentimeter; Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Microsoft Project ; Microsoft SharePoint ; Slack; zkipster
- Sales and marketing software — Google AdWords ; HubSpot software ; Instagram PeopleMap; Marketo Marketing Automation
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Video creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe AfterEffects ; Flipgrid; WeVideo; YouTube (see all 7 examples)
- Web page creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe Dreamweaver; Facebook ; LinkedIn ; Social media sites (see all 5 examples)
- Web platform development software — Drupal ; Hypertext markup language HTML
- Word processing software — Google Docs ; Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
Detailed Work Activities
- Develop promotional materials.
- Establish interpersonal business relationships to facilitate work activities.
- Liaise between departments or other groups to improve function or communication.
- Present information to the public.
- Confer with organizational members to accomplish work activities.
- Coordinate special events or programs.
- Coordinate with external parties to exchange information.
- Develop contingency plans to deal with organizational emergencies.
- Develop library or archival databases.
- Develop marketing plans or strategies.
- Develop operating strategies, plans, or procedures.
- Develop organizational policies or programs.
- Direct employee training programs.
- Direct sales, marketing, or customer service activities.
- Distribute instructional or library materials.
- Edit documents.
- Evaluate employee performance.
- Evaluate program effectiveness.
- Maintain operational records.
- Manage organizational or project budgets.
- Monitor external affairs or events affecting business operations.
- Operate still or video cameras or related equipment.
- Supervise employees.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Public Relations and Fundraising Managers.
Employment data for Public Relations and Fundraising Managers.
Industry data for Public Relations and Fundraising Managers.
|Median wages (2020)||$56.94 hourly, $118,430 annual|
|Employment (2019)||88,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Much faster than average (8% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||7,600|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- American Marketing Association
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education
- International Association of Business Communicators
- National Council for Marketing and Public Relations
- National Investor Relations Institute
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Public relations and fundraising managers
- Public Relations Society of America
- Society for Healthcare Strategy and Market Development of the American Hospital Association