Details Report for:
25-1072.00 - Nursing Instructors and Teachers, Postsecondary
Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
Sample of reported job titles: Assistant Professor, Assistant Professor of Nursing, Associate Professor, Clinical Nursing Instructor, Faculty Member, Instructor, Nursing Faculty, Nursing Instructor, Nursing Professor, Professor
Tasks | Tools & Technology | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
Tools used in this occupation:
- Anatomical human mannequins for medical education or training — Anatomical models; Intravenous simulation arms; Pelvic exam simulators
- Angioplasty balloon catheter — Angioplasty balloon catheters
- Apnea monitors or accessories — Apnea monitors
- Arterial blood gas monitors or accessories — Arterial blood gas kits
- Automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Automated external defibrillators AED
- Bedpans for general use — Patient bedpans
- Blanket frames or lifters — Foot cradles
- Blood pressure cuff kits — Sphygmomanometers
- Blood pressure recording units — Noninvasive automatic blood pressure machines
- Blood transfusion administration kits — Auto transfusion systems
- Canes or cane accessories — Walking canes
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units or accessories — Cardiac monitors; Hemodynamic monitors
- Cardiac pacemaker generator or cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemaker CRT-P — Transvenous pacemakers
- Cardio pulmonary resuscitation CPR boards
- Chest tube — Chest tube drainage systems
- Clinical trapeze bars — Bed trapezes
- Compact disk players or recorders — Compact disk CD players
- Computerized medication dispensing cabinet — Automated medicine dispensing machines
- Continuous passive motion CPM devices or accessories — Continuous passive motion CPM machines
- Crutches or crutch accessories — Crutches
- Desktop computers
- Dial calibrated intravenous flowmeters or regulators — Infusion control devices
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video cameras
- Digital cameras — Compact digital cameras
- Digital video disk players or recorders — Digital video disk DVD players
- Electrocardiography EKG transmitter or telemetry or accessories — Telemetry monitors
- Emergency or resuscitation carts — Crash carts
- Enteral feeding infusion pumps — Patient feeding pumps
- Epidiascopes — Opaque projectors
- Extremity restraints — Patient leg restraints
- Facial shields — Protective face shields
- Floor grade forceps or hemostats — Straight hemostats
- Floor grade scissors — Medical scissors
- Flow sensors or regulators or components — Oxygen flow meters
- Geriatric chairs or accessories — Geriatric chairs
- Glucose monitors or meters — Blood glucose monitors
- Goggles — Protective goggles
- Handheld thermometer — Digital thermometers
- Hydrometers — Urometers
- Infusion pump kits or accessories — Insulin pumps
- Inkjet printers — Poster printers
- Intraaortic balloon pump and accessories — Intra-aortic balloon pumps IABP
- Intracranial pressure ICP monitoring units or accessories — Intracranial pressure ICP monitors
- Intravenous or arterial catheter tray — Catheter trays; Irrigation trays
- Intravenous or arterial fluid warmers or accessories — Blood warmers
- Intravenous tubing with catheter administration kits — Intravenous tubing
- Lancets — Lancet needles
- Laser fax machine — Laser facsimile machines
- Laser printers — Computer laser printers
- Liquid crystal display projector — Liquid crystal display LCD projectors
- Medical acoustic stethoscope or accessory — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical aspiration or irrigation syringes — Bulb syringes
- Medical exam or non surgical procedure gloves — Protective medical gloves
- Medical exam or procedure tables for general use — Medical examination tables
- Medical incision drain accessories — Drainage tubes
- Medical oxygen masks or parts — Oxygen masks
- Medical staff isolation or cover gown — Chemotherapy protective wear
- Medical staple or clip removers — Medical staple removers
- Medical tape measures
- Medical ultrasound or doppler or echo monitors — Bladder ultrasound equipment
- Mercury blood pressure units — Manual blood pressure cuffs
- Microphone stand — Microphone podiums
- Microphones — Handheld microphones; Wireless microphones
- MP3 players or recorders — MP3 digital voice recorders
- Multimedia projectors — Computer projectors; Multimedia projection equipment
- Multiparameter vital sign unit or accessories — Transport cardiac monitors
- Nasogastric tubes
- Nebulizer or accessories — Handheld nebulizers
- Non invasive bi level machines — Bilevel positive airway pressure BiPAP ventilators
- Non invasive continuous positive air pressure machines — Mechanical ventilators
- Notebook computers — Laptop computers
- Ophthalmoscopes or otoscopes or scope sets — Otoscopes
- Orthopedic traction hardware or weights — Traction weights
- Ostomy appliances — Ostomy equipment
- Overhead projectors — Overhead data projectors
- Patient bed or table scales for general use — Patient bed scales
- Patient chairs — Cardiac chairs
- Patient controlled analgesia infusion pumps — Patient controlled analgesia PCA pumps
- Patient floor scales — Medical scales
- Patient lifts or accessories — Hoyer lifts; Mechanical patient lifts
- Patient shifting boards or accessories — Patient transfer boards
- Perfusion oxygen or hematocrit saturation monitors or accessories — Venous oxygen saturation SVO2 monitors
- Pericardiocentesis needles or kits or accessories — Pericardiocentesis kits
- Peripheral intravenous catheters for general use — Peripherally inserted central catheters PICC
- Peritoneal dialysis administration or catheterization sets — Permacaths
- Photocopiers — Photocopying equipment
- Pill crushers or splitters for the physically challenged — Pill crushers
- Portable data input terminals — Interactive whiteboard controllers; Student response systems
- Projection screens or displays — Projector screens
- Resuscitation masks or accessories — Ambu bags
- Scanners — Computer data input scanners
- Scientific calculator — Digital calculators
- Shower or bath chairs or seats for the physically challenged — Shower chairs
- Sitz baths for the physically challenged — Portable sitz baths
- Slide projectors — Carousel slide projectors
- Special purpose telephones — Multi-line telephone systems
- Specimen collection container — Specimen collection containers
- Spill kits — Chemotherapy spill kits
- Spirometers or its accessories or its supplies — Incentive spirometers
- Stethoscope headsets
- Surgical clamps or clips or forceps or accessories — Occlusion clamps
- Suture removal kits or trays or packs or sets — Suture removal kits
- Tablet computers
- Teleconference equipment — Conference telephones
- Televisions — Liquid crystal display LCD televisions; Television monitors
- Therapeutic heating or cooling blankets or drapes — Therapeutic cooling blankets
- Thoracentesis set or tray — Thoracentesis trays
- Touch screen monitors — Interactive whiteboards
- Tracheotomy surgical instrument sets — Tracheotomy kits
- Urethral urinary catheters — Foley catheters
- Urinalysis analyzer accessories or supplies — Urine strainers
- Vacuum blood collection tubes or containers — Vacutainers
- Vascular or compression apparel or support — Pneumatic boots
- Ventricular assist devices — Ventricular assist devices VAD
- Videoconferencing systems — Videoconferencing equipment
- Walkers or rollators — Walkers
- Web cameras — Webcams
- Whirlpool tub — Portable whirlpools
Technology used in this occupation:
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Computer based training software — Blackboard Learn; Desire2Learn; Learning management system LMS software; Sakai CLE (see all 5 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Information retrieval or search software — DOC Cop; iParadigms Turnitin
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Multi-media educational software — Interactive learning software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office software
- Optical character reader OCR or scanning software — Image scanning software
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint; Presentation graphics software
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Web page creation and editing software — Adobe Systems Adobe Macromedia software
- Word processing software — Collaborative editing software; Google Docs; Microsoft Word
- Develop instructional materials.
- Guide class discussions.
- Evaluate student work.
- Advise educators on curricula, instructional methods, or policies.
- Maintain student records.
- Order instructional or library materials or equipment.
- Administer tests to assess educational needs or progress.
- Assess educational needs of students.
- Supervise student research or internship work.
- Research topics in area of expertise.
- Teach physical science or mathematics courses at the college level.
- Write articles, books or other original materials in area of expertise.
- Develop instructional objectives.
- Attend training sessions or professional meetings to develop or maintain professional knowledge.
- Stay informed about current developments in field of specialization.
- Prepare tests.
- Supervise laboratory work.
- Evaluate effectiveness of educational programs.
- Write grant proposals.
- Serve on institutional or departmental committees.
- Advise students on academic or career matters.
- Direct department activities.
- Select educational materials or equipment.
- Perform student enrollment or registration activities.
- Collaborate with other agencies and institutions to coordinate educational matters.
- Promote educational institutions or programs.
- Plan community programs or activities for the general public.
- Compile specialized bibliographies or lists of materials.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include librarians, lawyers, sports medicine physicians, wildlife biologists, school psychologists, surgeons, treasurers, and controllers.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|25-1042.00||Biological Science Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1071.00||Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary Bright Outlook|
|25-1192.00||Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary|
|25-1193.00||Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary|
|29-1031.00||Dietitians and Nutritionists|
|29-1141.02||Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses|
|29-1141.04||Clinical Nurse Specialists|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2014)||$66,100 annual|
|Employment (2014)||69,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2014-2024)||Much faster than average (14% or higher)|
|Projected job openings (2014-2024)||25,400|
|Top industries (2014)||
Educational Services (95% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2014 wage data and 2014-2024 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2014-2024). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Postsecondary teachers . Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition.