O*NET OnLine Help Browse by O*NET Data
O*NET Data descriptors refer to categories of occupational information collected and available for O*NET-SOC occupations. You can browse by several categories:
- Skills (Basic, or Cross-Functional)
- Work Activities
- Work Context
- Work Styles
- Work Values
In the example below, the user decided to browse by Knowledge. The first screen shows Knowledge descriptors (indicated by the list icon), organized into folders (indicated by the Folder icon).
Arts and Humanities
Knowledge of facts and principles related to the branches of learning concerned with human thought, language, and the arts.
Business and Management
Knowledge of principles and facts related to business administration and accounting, human and material resource management in organizations, sales and marketing, economics, and office information and organizing systems.
Knowledge of the science and art of delivering information.
Education and Training
Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
Click on any folder item to show its contents; click again to close it. Click the "Expand all" or "Collapse all" buttons at the top to open or close all folders at once. To make the list more compact, click the "Hide descriptions" button at the top.
You can select a specific item to view the ratings of each O*NET-SOC occupation for this descriptor. The Importance and Level values are displayed. In the example below, "Biology" was selected from the "Mathematics and Science" folder.
Biology Save Table: XLSX CSV
Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
Isolate and identify a new virus
Investigate the effects of pollution on marine plants and animals
On each descriptor screen, you can:
- Export the occupation list to Excel or CSV with the Save Table links.
- See specific examples of the level needed in the Level examples section, for elements rated on the Level scale. See Scales, Ratings, and Standardized Scores for more information about the Level scale.
- Filter the occupations to show only those in a selected Job Zone by clicking one of the Show Job Zones buttons.
- Sort the occupation list by clicking any column header. Click the header a second time to reverse the sort order.
For any occupation listed, select its title to see more information about the corresponding occupation. For more information on these options, see OnLine Help for Summary, Details, or Custom Report.