Certification: National 2nd Mate Unlimited OC or NC

100 Forbes Drive Martinsburg, WV 25404-7120

2nd (Second) Mate. This is an advanced-level merchant mariner credential. The general requirements for this credential are TWIC Card (Identification, Fingerprints, Citizenship, Social Security number, etc), CG-719B Application, NDR Consent & Check, Oath, 3 letters of recommendation, photograph (supplied by TSA), SSEB Screening complete, age of 21 or over, CG-719K Physical Exam, Medical Tab in MMLD, Drug Testing Compliance, Mariner Fees, and Sea Service Letters or Discharges. The sea service requirements are recency- 90 days in the past 3 years on vessels of appropriate tonnage. Either 360 days of service as OICNW on Ocean/NC steam or motor vessels while holding a MMC as 3rd Mate; or 360 days of service while holding a MMC as 3rd Mate, of which 180 days of service as OINCDW on Ocean steam or motor vessels, and Service as AB, Boatswain, or Quartermaster while holding an AB accepted on a 2 for 1 basis for a maximum of 180 days; or Master if GL &/or Inland of AGT may obtain this endorsement by completing the prescribed examination. All required service is on vessels over 200 GRT, and 50% of the required service is on vessels over 1600 GRT. Other requirements include Basic Safety Training; or Continued Competency in BST, Flashing Light-course, and a valid, approved radar observer course. All candidates must complete an examination.

More than two years of education or training after high school required?
More than two years of work experience required?
Oral or Written Exam Required?
Renewal Required?
Every 5 Year(s)
Renew through Continuing Educational Units(CEU)?
Renew through Re-Examination?
Renew through Continuing Professional Development(CPD)?
Does applicant have choice of at least two options from above for renewal (CEU, CPD, or exam)?


Your local Regional Exam Centers external site(REC) provide valuable resources toward obtaining a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC).


The certification has an education level of an Associates of Arts or Associates of Sciences degree or higher and has a work experience requirement of more than 2 years, or requires obtaining a ‘core’ level certification from the same organization.

  • This certification is related to military occupational specialties.