Details Report for:
17-3025.00 - Environmental Engineering Technicians
Apply theory and principles of environmental engineering to modify, test, and operate equipment and devices used in the prevention, control, and remediation of environmental problems, including waste treatment and site remediation, under the direction of engineering staff or scientist. May assist in the development of environmental remediation devices.
Sample of reported job titles: Air Quality Instrument Specialist, Engineer Technician, Environmental Engineering Assistant, Environmental Engineering Technician, Environmental Field Technician, Environmental Specialist, Environmental Technician, Haz Tech (Hazardous Technician), Industrial Waste Inspector, Senior Environmental Technician
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Analytical or scientific software — Maplesoft Maple; The MathWorks MATLAB ; Visual MODFLOW Pro; Wolfram Research Mathematica (see all 31 examples)
- Categorization or classification software — GAEA Technologies WinSieve
- Compliance software — Hazardous materials management HMS software; Material safety data sheet MSDS software; Site remediation management software; Waste management software (see all 8 examples)
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD ; Bentley Microstation ; Mathsoft Mathcad; SofTech CADRA (see all 6 examples)
- Data base user interface and query software — Database software; Microsoft Access ; Structure query language SQL
- Desktop publishing software — Adobe Systems Adobe PageMaker
- Development environment software — Formula translation/translator FORTRAN; National Instruments LabVIEW
- Document management software — Gel documentation software; Microsoft Office SharePoint Server MOSS
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Graphics or photo imaging software — Photogrammetric software
- Industrial control software — Fugitive emission leak detection software
- Internet browser software
- Map creation software — ESRI ArcGIS software ; Geographic information system GIS software ; Geomechanical design analysis GDA software; Soil mapping software
- Object or component oriented development software — C++ ; Python
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Air pumps — Aeration pumps
- Air samplers or collectors — Air monitoring equipment; Airborne particulate samplers; Dichotomous particulate matter samplers; Multistage agar impactors
- Air velocity and temperature monitors — Air velocity meters
- Analytical balances
- Atomic absorption AA spectrometers
- Bench refractometers or polarimeters — Interferometeric refractormeters
- Benchtop centrifuges — High-speed centrifuges
- Bi distillation units — Water distillation units
- Binocular light compound microscopes — Optical compound microscopes
- Chemical absorption gas analyzers — Surface area analyzers
- Chemiluminescence or bioluminescence analyzers — Microtox toxicity systems
- Chemistry analyzers — Mercury analysis equipment
- Chromatographic detectors — Low pressure liquid chromatographs with fraction collectors
- Conductivity meters
- Darkfield microscopes — Phase contrast microscopes
- Density gradient fractionators — Universal fractionators
- Desktop computers
- Dewatering equipment — Filter press simulators
- Digital cameras
- Dissolved carbon dioxide analyzers — Respirometers
- Dissolved oxygen meters
- Dropping pipettes — Micropipettes
- Electronic counters — Particle counters
- Electrophoresis system accessories — Electrophoresis tanks; Fraction collectors; Zeta meters
- Extracting equipment for laboratories — Supercritical fluid extractors
- Filtering machinery — Particulate filters
- Flame ionization analyzers — Flame ionization detectors FID
- Flow injection analysis equipment — Flow injection analyzers
- Flowmeters — Flow meters
- Fluorescent microscopes — Epifluorescence microscopes; Total internal reflection fluorescence TIRF microscopes
- Forced air or mechanical convection general purpose incubators — Incubators
- Freeze dryers or lyopholizers — Freeze dryers
- French pressure cells — French presses
- Fume hoods or cupboards — Chemical fume hoods
- Gas chromatographs — Gas chromatographs GC
- Gel documentation systems
- Global positioning system GPS receiver — Global positioning system GPS receivers
- Hazardous material protective apparel — Hazardous material protective clothing
- Heated walk in environmental or growth chambers — Heated environmental chambers
- Heating mantles or tapes — Heating mantles
- Heating or drying equipment or accessories — Dessicator chambers
- HEPA filtered enclosures — Biosafety cabinets
- High pressure liquid chromatograph chromatography — High pressure liquid chromatograph HPLC with ultraviolet/visible UV/Vis absorbance detectors
- Hydrocarbons analyzers or detectors — Total organic halide analyzers
- Inductively coupled plasma ICP spectrometers — Plasma spectrometers
- Instrumentation for capillary electrophoresis — Electrophoresis equipment
- Inverted microscopes
- Ion chromatographs
- Ion selective electrode — Specific ion probes
- Ion selective electrode ISE meters
- Isolation glove boxes — Anaerobic laboratory glove bags
- Laboratory adapters or connectors or fittings — Glassware adapters
- Laboratory bailers — Bailers
- Laboratory balances — Balances; Laboratory scales; Pan balances
- Laboratory beakers — Beakers
- Laboratory blenders or emulsifiers — Blenders
- Laboratory box furnaces — Muffle furnaces
- Laboratory centrifugal pumps
- Laboratory flasks — Erlenmeyer flasks
- Laboratory funnels — Filtering funnels; Funnels
- Laboratory graduated cylinders — Graduated cylinders
- Laboratory heat exchange condensers — Glassware condensers
- Laboratory mechanical convection ovens — Laboratory ovens; Mechanical convection ovens
- Laboratory mixers — Mixer mills
- Laboratory safety furnaces — Furnaces
- Laboratory vacuum pumps
- Laminar flow cabinets or stations — Laminar flow hoods
- Land drilling rigs — Tractor mounted drill rigs
- Laser printers
- Lasers — Argon lasers
- Leak testing equipment — Tracer gas detectors
- Light scattering equipment — Simultaneous static and dynamic light scattering systems
- Liquid scintillation counters — Liquid scintillation equipment; Scintillation counters
- Magnetic stirrers
- Mainframe computers
- Mass spectrometers — Gas mass spectroscopes; Liquid mass spectroscopes
- Microplate readers — Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay ELISA plate readers
- Microscope slides
- Multipurpose or general test tubes — Test tubes
- Nephelometers — Benchtop nephelometers
- Nitrogen or nitrate or nitrite analyzer — Soil carbon-nitrogen CN analyzers
- Notebook computers
- Nuclear magnetic resonance NMR spectrometers — 13C nuclear magnetic resonance NMR spectrometers; Proton nuclear magnetic resonance NMR spectrometers
- Open stream water level recorders — Water level recorders
- Optical diffraction apparatus — Particle size analyzers
- Orbital shakers — Laboratory shakers
- Orbital shaking water baths — Fecal coliform constant temperature shaker baths
- Organic carbon analyzers — Carbon analyzers; Total organic carbon TOC analyzers
- Ozone analyzers — Ozone concentration percentage meters
- Ozone generator — Ozone bubble contactors; Ozone generators
- Particle size measuring apparatus — Differential mobility analyzers; Soil particle size testers
- Penetrometers — California bearing ratio CBR testing devices
- Peristaltic pumps
- Permeability testing apparatus — Soil permeability testers
- Personal computers
- pH meters
- Photo attachments for microscopes — Camera-equipped microscopes
- Portable data input terminals — Dataloggers
- Potentiometers — Potentiostats
- Rapid amplification or complementary deoxyribonucleic acid ends RACE technology products — Polymerase chain reaction PCR equipment
- Reactors or fermenters or digesters — Aerobic laboratory scale reactors; Anaerobic laboratory scale reactors; Digester apparatus; High-pressure/temperature reactors
- Reciprocating pumps
- Refrigerated benchtop centrifuges — Benchtop refrigerated centrifuges; Refrigerated centrifuges
- Reverse osmosis equipment — Low pressure reverse osmosis water treatment systems
- Robotic or automated liquid handling systems — Liquid handling robots
- Sample oxidizer — Biological oxidizers
- Scanners — Flatbed scanners
- Scanning light or spinning disk or laser scanning microscopes — Scanning microscopes
- Scanning probe microscopes — Atomic force microscopes; Scanning probe microscopes SPM
- Shaking incubators — Incubator shakers
- Soil core sampling apparatus — Soil samplers
- Soil testing kits — Soil expansion testers; Soil vapor sampling equipment
- Spectrofluorimeters or fluorimeters — Fluorimeters; Spectrofluorimeters; Ultraviolet UV spectrometers
- Spectrometers — Single particle spectroscopes; Visible spectrometers
- Standard fermentation units — Fermenters
- Steam autoclaves or sterilizers — Autoclaves
- Sterilization cabinets — Sterilizer chambers
- Stirring hotplates — Hot plate stirrers
- Surface tension measuring instruments — Drop volume tensiometers; Dynamic contact angle apparatus
- Thermal conductivity analyzers — Thermal conductivity detectors
- Titration equipment — Autotitration systems; Titrators
- Transmission electron microscopes — Transmission electron microscopes TEM
- Ultra cold or ultralow upright cabinets or freezers — Freezers
- Ultra pure water systems
- Ultrafiltration equipment — Ultrafiltration cells
- Ultrasonic cleaning equipment — Ultrasonic cleaners
- Vacuum or rotary evaporators — Rotavapors
- Video attachments for microscopes — Video microscopes
- Vortex mixers — Two-vortex mixers
- Water analyzers — Streaming current detectors; Titrimeters; Toxicity analyzers; Water quality monitors
- Water baths
- Water meters — Meters
- Water samplers — Groundwater pumps; Groundwater sampling equipment; Water sampling pumps
- Dispose of hazardous materials.
- Maintain operational records or records systems.
- Document design or operational test results.
- Analyze test or validation data.
- Collect samples of raw materials or finished products.
- Prepare technical or operational reports.
- Test performance of electrical, electronic, mechanical, or integrated systems or equipment.
- Maintain clean work areas.
- Package materials for transport.
- Monitor processes for compliance with standards.
- Investigate system, equipment, or product failures.
- Inspect facilities or sites to determine if they meet specifications or standards.
- Prepare detailed work plans.
- Evaluate designs or specifications to ensure quality.
- Analyze operational data to evaluate operations, processes or products.
- Assess product or process usefulness.
- Investigate the environmental impact of projects.
- Advise customers on the use of products or services.
- Prepare contracts, disclosures, or applications.
- Provide technical guidance to other personnel.
- Create models of engineering designs or methods.
- Schedule operational activities.
- Supervise production or support personnel.
- Research engineering aspects of biological or chemical processes.
- Purchase materials, equipment, or other resources.
|Title||Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.|
|Related Experience||A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.|
|Job Zone Examples||Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include accountants, sales managers, database administrators, graphic designers, chemists, art directors, and cost estimators.|
|SVP Range||(7.0 to < 8.0)|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|17-3027.00||Mechanical Engineering Technicians|
|17-3029.04||Electronics Engineering Technologists|
|19-4041.02||Geological Sample Test Technicians|
|19-4091.00||Environmental Science and Protection Technicians, Including Health Bright Outlook Green|
|19-4093.00||Forest and Conservation Technicians|
|19-4099.02||Precision Agriculture Technicians|
|29-9012.00||Occupational Health and Safety Technicians|
|47-4011.00||Construction and Building Inspectors|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2018)||$24.31 hourly, $50,560 annual|
|Employment (2016)||17,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2016-2026)||Faster than average (10% to 14%)|
|Projected job openings (2016-2026)||1,700|
|Top industries (2016)||
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services (56% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 wage data and 2016-2026 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2016-2026). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
- Air and Waste Management Association
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Water Works Association
- National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Environmental engineering technicians
- Society of American Military Engineers
- Water Environment Federation