- Shape, trim, face and cut marble or stone preparatory to setting, using power saws, cutting equipment, and hand tools.
- Lay brick to build shells of chimneys and smokestacks or to line or reline industrial furnaces, kilns, boilers and similar installations.
- Replace broken or missing masonry units in walls or floors.
- Smooth, polish, and bevel surfaces, using hand tools and power tools.
- Repair cracked or chipped areas of stone or marble, using blowtorch and mastic, and remove rough or defective spots from concrete, using power grinder or chisel and hammer.
- Construct and install prefabricated masonry units.
||Tile and Marble Setters
- Cut and shape tile to fit around obstacles and into odd spaces and corners, using hand and power cutting tools.
- Lay and set mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural, and floor designs.
- Finish and dress the joints and wipe excess grout from between tiles, using damp sponge.
- Cut, surface, polish, and install marble and granite or install pre-cast terrazzo, granite or marble units.
- Build underbeds and install anchor bolts, wires, and brackets.
||Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Construct corners by fastening in plumb position a corner pole or building a corner pyramid of bricks, and filling in between the corners using a line from corner to corner to guide each course, or layer, of brick.
- Break or cut bricks, tiles, or blocks to size, using trowel edge, hammer, or power saw.
- Fasten or fuse brick or other building material to structure with wire clamps, anchor holes, torch, or cement.
- Lay and align bricks, blocks, or tiles to build or repair structures or high temperature equipment, such as cupola, kilns, ovens, or furnaces.
||Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Wet surface to prepare for bonding, fill holes and cracks with grout or slurry, and smooth, using trowel.
- Fabricate concrete beams, columns, and panels.
- Cut paving stones to size and for edges, using a splitter and a masonry saw.
- Resurface an outside area with cobblestones, terracotta tiles, concrete or other materials.