Related occupations for task:
Apply relevant laws, regulations, policies, or precedents to reach conclusions.
||Judges, Magistrate Judges, and Magistrates
- Read documents on pleadings and motions to ascertain facts and issues.
- Rule on custody and access disputes, and enforce court orders regarding custody and support of children.
- Sentence defendants in criminal cases, on conviction by jury, according to applicable government statutes.
- Grant divorces and divide assets between spouses.
- Analyze the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge of legal precedents.
- Study Constitution, statutes, decisions, regulations, and ordinances of quasi-judicial bodies to determine ramifications for cases.
- Examine legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuit.
- Evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments in preparation for presentation of cases.
||Administrative Law Judges, Adjudicators, and Hearing Officers
- Determine existence and amount of liability according to current laws, administrative and judicial precedents, and available evidence.
- Research and analyze laws, regulations, policies, and precedent decisions to prepare for hearings and to determine conclusions.
- Authorize payment of valid claims and determine method of payment.
||Judicial Law Clerks
- Review complaints, petitions, motions, or pleadings that have been filed to determine issues involved or basis for relief.