- Operate computer-aided drafting (CAD) equipment or conventional drafting station to produce designs, working drawings, charts, forms, and records.
- Coordinate structural, electrical, and mechanical designs and determine a method of presentation to graphically represent building plans.
- Lay out and plan interior room arrangements for commercial buildings, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment and software.
- Draw rough and detailed scale plans for foundations, buildings, and structures, based on preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets, and other data.
- Create freehand drawings and lettering to accompany drawings.
- Prepare colored drawings of landscape and interior designs for presentation to client.
- Reproduce drawings on copy machines or trace copies of plans and drawings, using transparent paper or cloth, ink, pencil, and standard drafting instruments.
- Prepare graphic representations or drawings of proposed plans or designs.
- Develop planting plans to help clients garden productively or to achieve particular aesthetic effects.
- Prepare conceptual drawings, graphics, or other visual representations of land areas to show predicted growth or development of land areas over time.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development.
- Plan and implement laboratory operations to develop material and fabrication procedures that meet cost, product specification, and performance standards.
- Plan and evaluate new projects, consulting with other engineers and corporate executives as necessary.
- Prepare plans, estimates, design and construction schedules, and contract specifications, including any special provisions.
- Prepare, or direct the preparation of, product or system layouts and detailed drawings and schematics.
- Determine the order of work and method of presentation, such as orthographic or isometric drawing.
- Determine the order of work and the method of presentation, such as orthographic or isometric drawing.
- Enter Global Positioning System (GPS) data, legal deeds, field notes, or land survey reports into geographic information system (GIS) workstations so that information can be transformed into graphic land descriptions, such as maps or drawings.
- Plan and direct construction of rural electric-power distribution systems, and irrigation, drainage, and flood control systems for soil and water conservation.
||Civil Engineering Technicians
- Develop plans and estimate costs for installation of systems, utilization of facilities, or construction of structures.
||Solar Energy Systems Engineers
- Create plans for solar energy system development, monitoring, and evaluation activities.
||Industrial Engineering Technicians
- Aid in planning work assignments in accordance with worker performance, machine capacity, production schedules, or anticipated delays.
||Industrial Engineering Technologists
- Plan the flow of work or materials to maximize efficiency.
||Manufacturing Engineering Technologists
- Plan, estimate, or schedule production work.
- Prepare project plans for biochemical equipment or facility improvements, including time lines, budgetary estimates, or capital spending requests.
- Design layout of craft interior, including cargo space, passenger compartments, ladder wells, and elevators.
||Fire-Prevention and Protection Engineers
- Develop plans for the prevention of destruction by fire, wind, and water.
||Mining and Geological Engineers, Including Mining Safety Engineers
- Select locations and plan underground or surface mining operations, specifying processes, labor usage, and equipment that will result in safe, economical, and environmentally sound extraction of minerals and ores.
- Develop or contribute to the development of plans to remediate or restore environments affected by nuclear radiation, such as waste disposal sites.
- Develop validation master plans, process flow diagrams, test cases, or standard operating procedures.