- Develop optical or imaging systems, such as optical imaging products, optical components, image processes, signal process technologies, or optical systems.
- Design, integrate, or test photonics systems or components.
- Design electro-optical sensing or imaging systems.
- Design photonics products, such as light sources, displays, or photovoltaics, to achieve increased energy efficiency.
- Design gas lasers, solid state lasers, infrared, or other light emitting or light sensitive devices.
- Design or redesign optical fibers to minimize energy loss.
- Develop laser-processed designs, such as laser-cut medical devices.
- Design or develop new crystals for photonics applications.
- Design laser machining equipment for purposes such as high-speed ablation.
- Make repairs to robots or peripheral equipment, such as replacement of defective circuit boards, sensors, controllers, encoders, or servomotors.
- Align, fit, or assemble components, using hand tools, power tools, fixtures, templates, or microscopes.
- Attach wires between controllers.
- Build or assemble robotic devices or systems.
||Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Assemble electrical systems or prototypes, using hand tools or measuring instruments.
- Assemble, test, or maintain circuitry or electronic components, according to engineering instructions, technical manuals, or knowledge of electronics, using hand or power tools.
- Construct and evaluate electrical components for consumer electronics applications such as fuel cells for consumer electronic devices, power saving devices for computers or televisions, or energy efficient power chargers.
||Electro-Mechanical and Mechatronics Technologists and Technicians
- Align, fit, or assemble component parts, using hand or power tools, fixtures, templates, or microscopes.
- Fabricate or assemble mechanical, electrical, or electronic components or assemblies.
- Design or develop sensors to reduce the energy or resource requirements to operate appliances, such as washing machines or dishwashing machines.
- Design sensors or switches that require little or no power to operate for environmental monitoring or industrial metering applications.
||Computer Hardware Engineers
- Design and develop computer hardware and support peripherals, including central processing units (CPUs), support logic, microprocessors, custom integrated circuits, and printers and disk drives.
- Assemble and modify existing pieces of equipment to meet special needs.
||Electronics Engineers, Except Computer
- Plan or develop applications or modifications for electronic properties used in components, products, or systems to improve technical performance.
- Design electronic components, software, products, or systems for commercial, industrial, medical, military, or scientific applications.
||Semiconductor Processing Technicians
- Attach ampoule to diffusion pump to remove air from ampoule, and seal ampoule, using blowtorch.
||Aerospace Engineering and Operations Technologists and Technicians
- Construct and maintain test facilities for aircraft parts and systems, according to specifications.
||Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Assemble or disassemble complex mechanical systems.
- Design sensing, measuring, and recording devices, and other instrumentation used to study plant or animal life.
||Automotive Engineering Technicians
- Build instrumentation or laboratory test equipment for special purposes.
||Radio Frequency Identification Device Specialists
- Integrate tags, readers, or software in radio frequency identification device (RFID) designs.
- Devise automated lab validation test stations or other test fixtures or equipment.
||Security Management Specialists
- Engineer, install, maintain, or repair security systems, programmable logic controls, or other security-related electronic systems.
||Nanotechnology Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Assemble components, using techniques such as interference fitting, solvent bonding, adhesive bonding, heat sealing, or ultrasonic welding.
- Design test control apparatus or equipment or develop procedures for testing products.