17-3029.06 - Manufacturing Engineering Technologists
Green occupations will likely change as a result of the green economy. Green economy activities and technologies are increasing the demand for occupations, shaping the work and worker requirements needed for occupational performance, or generating new and emerging occupations.
This is a Green New & Emerging occupation — the impact of green economy activities and technologies is sufficient to create the need for unique work and worker requirements, which results in the generation of new occupations.
Manufacturing engineering technologists work in the following green economy sectors:
- Manufacturing — This sector covers activities related to industrial manufacturing of green technology as well as energy efficient manufacturing processes.
- Research, Design, and Consulting Services — This sector encompasses "indirect jobs" to the green economy which includes activities such as energy consulting or research and other related business services.
They perform these tasks important to the green economy:
- Analyze manufacturing supply chains to identify opportunities for increased efficiency in the acquisition of raw materials.
- Design plant or production layouts that minimize environmental impacts.
- Develop processes to recover, recycle, or reuse waste or scrap materials from manufacturing operations.
- Develop sustainable manufacturing technologies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize raw material use, replace toxic materials with non-toxic materials, replace non-renewable materials with renewable materials, or reduce waste.
- Evaluate current or proposed manufacturing processes or practices for environmental sustainability, considering factors such as green house gas emissions, air pollution, water pollution, energy use, or waste creation.
- Monitor manufacturing operations to ensure adherence to environmental policies and practices.
- Select material quantities or processing methods needed to achieve efficient production.
- Train manufacturing technicians on environmental protection topics.