Details Report for:
17-2111.00 - Health and Safety Engineers, Except Mining Safety Engineers and Inspectors
Promote worksite or product safety by applying knowledge of industrial processes, mechanics, chemistry, psychology, and industrial health and safety laws. Includes industrial product safety engineers.
Sample of reported job titles: Health and Safety Specialist, Industrial Hygienist, Industrial Safety Engineer, Product Safety and Standards Engineer, Product Safety Consultant, Product Safety Engineer, Safety and Health Consultant, Safety Engineer, Service Loss Control Consultant, System Safety Engineer
Also see: Fire-Prevention and Protection Engineers
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
|Not available||Not available|
|Not available||Not available|
- Analytical or scientific software — Computational fluid dynamics CFD software; Static strength prediction software; The MathWorks MATLAB ; Virtual interaction simulator software (see all 32 examples)
- Compliance software — Fire safety inspection and testing software; Material safety data sheet MSDS software; Safety integrity level SIL software; Safety, health, and environmental management software (see all 7 examples)
- Computer aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD ; Electronic design automation EDA software; Mathsoft Mathcad; Roof support design software
- Computer based training software — Hazardous waste operations and emergency response standard HAZWOPER training software
- Customer relationship management CRM software
- Data base user interface and query software — Anthropometric databases; Incident tracking software; Microsoft Access ; Reliability information software
- Development environment software — Eclipse IDE ; Microsoft Visual Basic ; National Instruments LabVIEW
- Document management software — Records management software
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — SAP
- License management software — Permit administration software
- Map creation software — Geological mapping software
- Object or component oriented development software — C++
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Linux
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Project management software — Microsoft Project
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Video creation and editing software — Multimedia video analysis software
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Acoustic sensors — Noise monitoring equipment
- Ageing ovens — Accelerated ageing testers
- Air pollutant samplers — Microbial contaminant measurement devices; Multi-vapor reading instruments; Particulate measurement devices
- Air samplers or collectors — Aerosol sampling devices; Sampling probes
- Air sampling pumps — High-flow air sampling pumps; High-volume asbestos sampling pumps; Sampling pumps
- Air velocity and temperature monitors — Velometers
- Calibrated resistance measuring equipment — Rise of resistance measurement systems
- Calipers — Digital calipers
- Calorimeters — Differential scanning calorimeters; Oxygen bomb calorimeters
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units or accessories — Heart rate monitors
- Chemical absorption gas analyzers — Fourier transform infrared FTIR spectroscopy gas analyzers
- Comparators — Optical comparators
- Compression testers — Digital force gauges
- Corrosion testers — Electrolytic corrosion testing equipment
- Desktop computers
- Digital camcorders or video cameras — Digital video recorders
- Digital cameras
- Dynamometers — Digital dynamometers; Hand dynamometers; Reference frame dynamometers; Strength evaluation systems (see all 6 examples)
- Electrical or power regulators — Rheostats
- Electromagnetic field meters — Magnetic field meters
- Electromyography EMG units or accessories — Electromyograph processing systems
- Feeler gauges
- Flexure or transverse testing machines — Cold bend testers; Flex testing machines
- Force or torque sensors — Force gauges; Force transducers; Torque gauges
- Friction apparatus — Slipmeters
- Fume hoods or cupboards — Flame hoods
- Gas detector tubes — Sorbent tubes
- Heat stress monitors — Glow wire testers
- Hipot testers — High-pot testers
- Impact hammers
- Infrared spectrometers — Fourier transform infrared FTIR spectrometers
- Instrument transformers — Isolation transformers; Variable transformers
- Insulation resistance meters — Insulation resistance testers
- Laboratory enclosure accessories — Dust chambers
- Laboratory sprayers — Oscillating spray testers
- Laser measuring systems — Repose angle measuring devices
- Leak testing equipment — Line leakage testers
- Lightmeters — Light meters
- Micrometers — Digital micrometers
- Multimeters — Switch testing devices
- Notebook computers
- Organic carbon analyzers — Volatile organic compound VOC measurement devices
- Oxygen gas analyzers — Oxygen index apparatus; Portable oxygen consumption meters
- Personal digital assistant PDAs or organizers — Personal digital assistants PDA
- Physiological recorders — Inclinometers; Motion capture systems; Physiographic recorders; Reaction time simulators (see all 8 examples)
- Pressure indicators — Ball pressure testers; Force platforms; Pinch meters
- Radiation detectors — Ion chamber survey meters
- Radio frequency identification devices — Radio frequency signal analyzers
- Scanners — Three-dimensional laser scanners
- Shock testing apparatus — Bump testers; Electric iron drop test machines; Pendulum impact apparatus; Tumbling barrel test machines (see all 5 examples)
- Sound measuring apparatus or decibel meter — Acoustic calibrators; Noise dosimeters; Octave band analyzers; Sound level meters
- Spirometers or its accessories or its supplies — Respiratory flow rate meters
- Strain gauges
- Sulfur dioxide analyzers or detectors — Sorbent dosimeters
- Temperature and humidity walk in environmental chamber — Humidity test chambers
- Temperature gauge — Temperature gauges
- Tension testers — Socket outlet test machines
- Thermal differential analyzers — Dynamic mechanical analyzers DMA
- Thermo gravimetry analyzers — Thermogravimetric analyzers
- Thermocouple probes — Thermocouple temperature probes
- Thickness measuring devices — Anthropometers
- Torsion testers — Cord anchorage pull machines; Cord anchorage test devices; Socket outlet torque balance testers; Torsion meters
- Vibration testers — Vibration analyis equipment
- Voltage or current meters — Direct current stability testing devices; Surge testing devices; Voltmeters
- Wattmeters — Digital wattmeters
- Wear testers — Tribometers
- Investigate safety of work environment.
- Research product safety.
- Advise others on health and safety issues.
- Teach safety standards or environmental compliance methods.
- Update technical knowledge.
- Document design or operational test results.
- Maintain operational records or records systems.
- Explain engineering drawings, specifications, or other technical information.
- Evaluate designs or specifications to ensure quality.
- Prepare procedural documents.
- Test facilities for environmental hazards.
- Testify at legal or legislative proceedings.
- Confer with technical personnel to prepare designs or operational plans.
- Develop safety standards, policies, or procedures.
- Research human performance or health factors related to engineering or design activities.
- Investigate the environmental impact of projects.
- Design industrial equipment.
- Fabricate devices or components.
- Confer with other personnel to resolve design or operational problems.
- Inspect facilities or sites to determine if they meet specifications or standards.
- Direct installation activities.
- Inspect equipment to ensure safety or proper functioning.
- Inspect safety equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Install safety or support equipment.
- Monitor work environment to ensure safety or adherence to specifications.
|Title||Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.|
|Related Experience||A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.|
|Job Zone Examples||Many of these occupations involve coordinating, supervising, managing, or training others. Examples include real estate brokers, sales managers, database administrators, graphic designers, chemists, art directors, and cost estimators.|
|SVP Range||(7.0 to < 8.0)|
|17-2111.02||Fire-Prevention and Protection Engineers|
|17-2112.02||Validation Engineers Bright Outlook|
|17-2199.03||Energy Engineers, Except Wind and Solar|
|19-1012.00||Food Scientists and Technologists|
|19-5011.00||Occupational Health and Safety Specialists|
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2019)||$43.95 hourly, $91,410 annual|
|Employment (2019)||26,400 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Average (3% to 4%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||1,700|
|Top industries (2019)||
Manufacturing (27% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Air and Waste Management Association
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Public Health Association
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- ASTM International
- Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
- International System Safety Society
- National Fire Protection Association
- National Safety Council
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Health and safety engineers
- Product Safety Engineering Society
- Society of Women Engineers
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers