Details Report for:
19-4012.00 - Agricultural Technicians
Work with agricultural scientists in plant, fiber, and animal research, or assist with animal breeding and nutrition. Set up or maintain laboratory equipment and collect samples from crops or animals. Prepare specimens or record data to assist scientists in biology or related life science experiments. Conduct tests and experiments to improve yield and quality of crops or to increase the resistance of plants and animals to disease or insects.
The occupation code you requested, 19-4011.01 (Agricultural Technicians), is no longer in use. In the future, please use 19-4012.00 (Agricultural Technicians) instead.
Sample of reported job titles: Agricultural Research Technician, Agricultural Research Technologist, Agricultural Technician, Laboratory Technician (Lab Tech), Research Assistant, Research Associate, Research Specialist, Research Technician, Seed Analyst
Also see: Precision Agriculture Technicians
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Analytical or scientific software — Statistical software
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software ; Microsoft Access
- Desktop publishing software
- Electronic mail software — Email software; Microsoft Outlook
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software — SAP
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Microsoft operating system
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Agricultural tractors
- Air compressors
- Air samplers or collectors — Air samplers
- Animal husbandry equipment — Animal chutes; Animal head-locks; Dipping vats; Spray-dip machines
- Animal weighing scales — Livestock scales
- Bench scales — Electronic bench scales; Weight meters
- Benchtop centrifuges
- Binocular light compound microscopes — Compound binocular light microscopes
- Blood collection syringes
- Cargo trucks — Heavy cargo trucks
- Combine harvesters
- Conveyor screw — Grain augers
- Cultivators — Chisel cultivators; Sweep cultivator shovels
- Desktop computers
- Dry heat or hot air sterilizers — Soil sterilizers
- Drying cabinets or ovens — Drying ovens
- Dusters — Power dusters
- Electronic counters
- Entomological catching equipment — Insect collectors
- Fertilizer spreaders or distributors — Fertilizer or seed spreaders; Granule applicators
- Fog or mist generators — Aerosol foggers; Aerosol generators
- Forced air or mechanical convection general purpose incubators — Laboratory mechanical convection incubators
- Forestry saws — Pruning shears; Reach pole saws
- Gas welding or brazing or cutting apparatus — Gas welders
- Graders or land levelers — Bed shapers
- Handheld refractometers or polarimeters — Portable refractometers
- Haymaking machinery — Balers; Rakes
- Height gauges — Animal measuring sticks
- Hypodermic injection apparatus or accessories — Vaccination syringes
- Incubators or brooders for poultry — Egg incubators; Egg setters or hatchers
- Infrared lamps
- Laboratory separators
- Laser printers
- Light trucks or sport utility vehicles — Light trucks
- Livestock identification equipment — Animal tatooers
- Medical syringe with needle — Hypodermic syringes
- Metal inert gas welding machine — Metal inert gas MIG welders
- Milk cooling tanks — Milk cooling equipment
- Milking machines
- Moisture meters — Soil moisture neutron probes
- Nitrogen or nitrate or nitrite analyzer — Nitrogen test meters
- Notebook computers
- Personal computers
- Personal digital assistant PDAs or organizers — Personal digital assistants PDA
- pH meters
- Plant samples analysis equipment — Pollen collectors
- Planters — Planting sleds
- Ploughs — Plows
- Power saws
- Refrigerated and heated reach in environmental or growth chambers — Temperature controlled reach-in growth chambers
- Reverse osmosis equipment — Reverse osmosis systems
- Sample holders — Sample vials
- Shielded metal arc welding or stick welding machine — Shielded arc welding tools
- Sprayers — Chemical sprayers; Crop sprayers
- Steam autoclaves or sterilizers — Steam autoclaves; Steam sterilizers
- Surface thermometers
- Tablet computers
- Temperature or humidity surface observing apparatus — Temperature gauges
- Threshing machines — Threshers
- Track bulldozers — Tracked bulldozers
- Trenching machines — Trenchers
- Vacuum blood collection tubes or containers — Vacuum blood collection tubes
- Veterinary castration instruments — Callicrate banding systems; Elastrator bands
- Veterinary injection or suction units or accessories — Artificial insemination syringes
- Water samplers
- Weather stations — Weather instruments
- Record research or operational data.
- Measure ingredients.
- Prepare scientific or technical reports or presentations.
- Cultivate land.
- Prepare biological samples for testing or analysis.
- Set up laboratory or field equipment.
- Examine characteristics or behavior of living organisms.
- Collect biological specimens.
- Manage agricultural or forestry operations.
- Supervise scientific or technical personnel.
- Train personnel in technical or scientific procedures.
- Research sustainable agricultural processes or practices.
- Research diseases or parasites.
- Maintain laboratory or technical equipment.
- Operate farming equipment.
- Operate laboratory or field equipment.
- Test quality of materials or finished products.
- Care for plants or animals.
- Provide technical information or assistance to public.
- Develop sustainable industrial or development methods.
- Prepare compounds or solutions for products or testing.
- Research crop management methods.
|Title||Job Zone Three: Medium Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.|
|Related Experience||Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations. For example, an electrician must have completed three or four years of apprenticeship or several years of vocational training, and often must have passed a licensing exam, in order to perform the job.|
|Job Training||Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations usually involve using communication and organizational skills to coordinate, supervise, manage, or train others to accomplish goals. Examples include hydroelectric production managers, travel guides, electricians, agricultural technicians, barbers, court reporters, and medical assistants.|
|SVP Range||(6.0 to < 7.0)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
|19-4012.01||Precision Agriculture Technicians|
|19-4013.00||Food Science Technicians|
|19-4021.00||Biological Technicians Bright Outlook|
|19-4043.00||Geological Technicians, Except Hydrologic Technicians|
|19-4051.02||Nuclear Monitoring Technicians|
|19-4071.00||Forest and Conservation Technicians|
|45-4011.00||Forest and Conservation Workers|
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Agricultural and Food Science Technicians.
Employment data for Agricultural and Food Science Technicians.
Industry data for Agricultural and Food Science Technicians.
|Median wages (2020)||$20.18 hourly, $41,970 annual|
|Employment (2019)||24,200 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Average (3% to 4%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||2,800|
|Top industries (2019)||
Manufacturing (37% employed in this sector)
Educational Services (22%)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.
- Agronomic Science Foundation
- American Dairy Science Association
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- American Society of Agronomy
- American Society of Animal Science
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Association of Official Seed Analysts/Society of Commercial Seed Technologists
- Crop Science Society of America
- Entomological Society of America
- Institute of Food Technologists
- International Society for Seed Science
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Agricultural and food science technicians
- Soil Science Society of America
- Southern Weed Science Society
- Weed Science Society of America