Details Report for:
29-1021.00 - Dentists, General
Examine, diagnose, and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting oral hygiene and retention of teeth. May fit dental appliances or provide preventive care.
Sample of reported job titles: Associate Dentist, Dental Surgery Doctor (DDS), Dentist, Dentist/Owner, Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD), Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), Family Dentist, General Dentist, General Dentist/Owner, Pediatric Dentist
Tasks | Technology Skills | Tools Used | Knowledge | Skills | Abilities | Work Activities | Detailed Work Activities | Work Context | Job Zone | Education | Credentials | Interests | Work Styles | Work Values | Related Occupations | Wages & Employment | Job Openings | Additional Information
- Accounting software
- Internet browser software — Web browser software
- Medical software — AlphaDent; DentiMax; Henry Schein Dentrix; Windent SQL (see all 35 examples)
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Air compressors
- Amalgam carriers — Amalgam wells
- Attachments or replacement parts for dental instruments — Ball bearing contra angle assemblies; Contra angle sheaths; Straight attachments; Surgical handles (see all 5 examples)
- Automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Automated external defibrillators AED
- Bands for dental matrix — Amalgam bands; Copalite bands; Dental matrix bands
- Calcium hydroxide placement tools — Dycal instruments
- Chemical or gas sterilizers — Chemical vapor sterilizers
- Composite placement tools — Composite placing instruments
- Cosmetic dentistry curing lights or accessories — Visible light curing units
- Crown or bridge removers — Bridge removers; Crown removers
- Dental absorbent holders — Gauze packers; Towel clamps
- Dental amalgam carvers — Amalgam condensers; Interproximal carvers
- Dental amalgamators — Electrically powered dental amalgamators
- Dental bite blocks or wings or tabs — Bite blocks
- Dental burnishers
- Dental burs — Dental excavating burs; Surgical burs
- Dental calipers — Metric calipers
- Dental cord packers — Dental cord packing instruments
- Dental dam supplies — Rubber dam clamp forceps; Rubber dam clamps; Rubber dam frames; Rubber dam punches
- Dental depth gauges — Apex locators
- Dental drills or drill bits — Dental drills
- Dental elevators — Periodontal elevators; Periosteal elevators; Root elevators; Surgical elevators (see all 7 examples)
- Dental examination chairs or related parts or accessories — Dental chairs
- Dental excavators — Enamel hatchets; Endo excavators; Spoon excavators
- Dental files or rasps — Bone files; Root canal files; Root canal rasps
- Dental film processors — Automatic film processing systems; Manual film processing systems
- Dental forceps — Articulating paper forceps; Biscuspid forceps; Pedodontic forceps; Rongeur forceps (see all 14 examples)
- Dental hand pieces or accessories — Dental wire cutters; High-speed dental handpieces; Periotomes; Straight dental handpieces (see all 7 examples)
- Dental impression trays
- Dental instrument sharpening accessories — Sharpening stones
- Dental knives — Plaster knives; Scalpels
- Dental laboratory air abrasion units — Dental air abrasion systems
- Dental laboratory burners or torches — Endodontic micro-torches
- Dental laboratory lathes or accessories — Dental laboratory lathes
- Dental laboratory model trimmers or accessories — Model trimmers
- Dental laboratory plaster traps
- Dental laboratory vibrators — Plaster vibrators
- Dental lasers — Dental carbon dioxide CO2 lasers; Neodymium-doped Yttrium Aluminum Garnet Nd:YAG dental lasers; Photo-activated disinfection systems; Tooth-whitening argon lasers
- Dental mallets
- Dental margin trimmers
- Dental material pluggers or tips or accessories — Cement placing instruments; Dental condensers; Endodontic pluggers; Root canal pluggers (see all 6 examples)
- Dental materials dispensers — Gutta percha dispensers
- Dental matrices or sets — Amalgam retainers; Copalite retainers
- Dental mirrors or mirror handles — Fiberoptic dental mirrors; Mouth mirrors
- Dental mouth props
- Dental obturating points — Endodontic obturating cones
- Dental pressure indicating kits — Occlusal force analysis systems
- Dental probes — Double-end periodontal probes; Periodontal pocket markers; Periodontal probing devices; Single-ended periodontal probes (see all 9 examples)
- Dental prophylaxis kits — Prophylaxis angles; Prophylaxis brushes; Prophylaxis cups
- Dental pulp or vitality testers — Pulp testers
- Dental reamers — Gates-Glidden drills; Root canal barbed broaches; Root canal enlargers; Root canal reamers (see all 5 examples)
- Dental retainers — Matrix retainers
- Dental retractors — Dental fiberoptic retractors; Tissue retractors; Tongue retractors
- Dental root tip picks — Crane picks; Root tip picks
- Dental saliva ejectors or oral suction devices or supplies — High-speed evacuators; Oral evacuation equipment; Saliva ejectors
- Dental scalers or accessories — Anterior scalers; Posterior scalers; Sickles; Ultrasonic scaler tips
- Dental scissors — Crown scissors; Straight scissors; Suture scissors; Wire and arch bar scissors (see all 5 examples)
- Dental shades — Tooth color shade guides
- Dental spatulas — Cement spatulas; Dental wax spatuals; Metal spatulas; Spoons
- Dental spreaders — Root canal spreaders; Turvey maxillary expander
- Dental syringe accessory kits — Air/water syringe tips; Dental syringes; Needle holders
- Dental syringes or needles or syringes with needles — Bulb irrigators; Dental aspiration syringes
- Dental tongs — Cotton pliers
- Dental x ray units — Digital radiographic equipment; Extraoral x ray equipment; Intraoral x ray equipment; Panoramic x ray equipment
- Desktop computers
- Electronic blood pressure units — Blood pressure monitors
- Electronic medical thermometers — Digital medical thermometers
- Electronic stethoscopes or accessories — Pretracheal stethoscopes
- Electrosurgical or electrocautery equipment — Dental electrosurgery devices
- Emergency medical services tracheal tube or cricothyrotomy kits — Cricothyrotomy devices
- Eyewashers or eye wash stations — Eyewash stations
- Facial shields — Chin-length plastic face shields
- Floor grade forceps or hemostats — Curved hemostats; Straight hemostats
- Foot switch — Foot controls
- General dental lights or its accessories — Dental operating lights
- Grinding machines — Instrument sharpeners
- Medical exam headlights or headlamps or accessories — Headsets
- Medical imaging dry laser printers or imagers — Intraoral printers
- Medical imaging wet darkroom or daylight processors — Daylight loader film processing systems
- Medical radiological shielding aprons or masks or drapes — Dental x ray protective aprons; Thyroid collars; Thyroid shields
- Medical staff isolation or cover gown — Protective gowns
- Medical staff isolation or surgical masks — Masks; Surgical masks
- Notebook computers
- Orthodontic ligature cartridges — Ligature instruments
- Orthodontic pliers — Angled pliers; Porcelain crown pliers; Wiring pliers
- Orthodontic setter bands — Band setters
- Oxygen therapy delivery system products accessories or its supplies — Nitrous oxide administration equipment
- Patient carbon dioxide detectors — Capnographs
- Periodontal chisels — Dental chisels
- Periodontal curettes
- Periodontal knives
- Personal computers
- Pharyngeal airways or airways kits — Laryngeal mask airways LMA
- Pointers — Pointing devices
- Pulse oximeter units — Pulse oximeters
- Safety glasses
- Steam autoclaves or sterilizers — Autoclaves; High heat sterilizers
- Surgical clamps or clips or forceps or accessories — Bone clamps
- Surgical gloves
- Surgical suction machines or vacuum extractors or ultrasonic surgical aspirators or regulators or accessories — Fiberoptic aspirators
- Teeth cleaning devices or accessories — Air/water syringes
- Ultrasonic cleaning equipment — Ultrasonic cleaners
- Videoscopes — Intraoral camera systems; Intraoral microscope systems
- Protect patients or staff members using safety equipment.
- Operate diagnostic or therapeutic medical instruments or equipment.
- Examine mouth, teeth, gums, or related facial structures.
- Operate diagnostic imaging equipment.
- Administer anesthetics or sedatives to control pain.
- Develop medical treatment plans.
- Treat dental problems or diseases.
- Diagnose dental conditions.
- Adjust prostheses or other assistive devices.
- Advise patients on preventive care techniques.
- Design medical devices or appliances.
- Fabricate medical devices.
- Prescribe medications.
- Operate on patients to treat conditions.
- Analyze patient data to determine patient needs or treatment goals.
- Supervise patient care personnel.
- Design public or employee health programs.
- Direct healthcare delivery programs.
- Prepare healthcare training materials.
|Title||Job Zone Five: Extensive Preparation Needed|
|Education||Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).|
|Related Experience||Extensive skill, knowledge, and experience are needed for these occupations. Many require more than five years of experience. For example, surgeons must complete four years of college and an additional five to seven years of specialized medical training to be able to do their job.|
|Job Training||Employees may need some on-the-job training, but most of these occupations assume that the person will already have the required skills, knowledge, work-related experience, and/or training.|
|Job Zone Examples||These occupations often involve coordinating, training, supervising, or managing the activities of others to accomplish goals. Very advanced communication and organizational skills are required. Examples include pharmacists, lawyers, astronomers, biologists, clergy, neurologists, and veterinarians.|
|SVP Range||(8.0 and above)|
Percentage of Respondents
|Education Level Required|
|7||Some college, no degree|
Realistic — Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
Wages & Employment Trends
|Median wages (2018)||$73.00 hourly, $151,850 annual|
|Employment (2018)||137,000 employees|
|Projected growth (2018-2028)||Faster than average (7% to 10%)|
|Projected job openings (2018-2028)||5,300|
|Top industries (2018)||
Health Care and Social Assistance (81% employed in this sector)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 wage data and 2018-2028 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2018-2028). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.