Summary Report for:
13-2022.00 - Appraisers of Personal and Business Property
Appraise and estimate the fair value of tangible personal or business property, such as jewelry, art, antiques, collectibles, and equipment. May also appraise land.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Calculate the value of property based on comparisons to recent sales, estimated cost to reproduce, and anticipated property income streams.
- Create and maintain a database of completed appraisals.
- Determine the appropriate type of valuation to make, such as fair market, replacement, or liquidation, based on the needs of the property owner.
- Document physical characteristics of property such as measurements, quality, and design.
- Forecast the value of property.
- Inspect personal or business property.
- Locate and record data on sales of comparable property using specialized software, internet searches, or personal records.
- Recommend loan amounts based on the value of property being used as collateral.
- Take photographs of property.
- Testify in court as to the value of a piece of tangible property.
- Update appraisals when property has been improved, damaged, or has otherwise changed.
- Verify that property matches legal descriptions or certifications.
- Write and submit appraisal reports for property, such as jewelry, art, antiques, collectibles, and equipment.
- Write descriptions of the property being appraised.
Detailed Work Activities
- Appraise property values.
- Write reports or evaluations.
- Compile data or documentation.
- Create databases to store electronic data.
- Determine operational procedures.
- Enter information into databases or software programs.
- Forecast economic, political, or social trends.
- Gather information in order to provide services to clients.
- Implement financial decisions.
- Inspect items for damage or defects.
- Maintain data in information systems or databases.
- Record images needed to address work issues.
- Testify at legal or legislative proceedings.
- Update computer database information.
- Verify information or specifications.
- Write informational material.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Property Appraisers and Assessors.
Employment data for Property Appraisers and Assessors.
Industry data for Property Appraisers and Assessors.
|Median wages (2019)||$27.41 hourly, $57,010 annual|
|Employment (2019)||75,100 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Average (3% to 4%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||5,400|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2019 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.