Summary Report for:
29-2042.00 - Emergency Medical Technicians
Assess injuries and illnesses and administer basic emergency medical care. May transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
Sample of reported job titles: Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), First Responder
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Administer first aid treatment or life support care to sick or injured persons in prehospital settings.
- Assess nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures.
- Attend training classes to maintain certification licensure, keep abreast of new developments in the field, or maintain existing knowledge.
- Comfort and reassure patients.
- Communicate with dispatchers or treatment center personnel to provide information about situation, to arrange reception of victims, or to receive instructions for further treatment.
- Coordinate work with other emergency medical team members or police or fire department personnel.
- Decontaminate ambulance interior following treatment of patient with infectious disease and report case to proper authorities.
- Drive mobile intensive care unit to specified location, following instructions from emergency medical dispatcher.
- Immobilize patient for placement on stretcher and ambulance transport, using backboard or other spinal immobilization device.
- Maintain vehicles and medical and communication equipment and replenish first aid equipment and supplies.
- Observe, record, and report to physician the patient's condition or injury, the treatment provided, and reactions to drugs or treatment.
- Perform emergency diagnostic and treatment procedures, such as stomach suction, airway management, or heart monitoring, during ambulance ride.
- Information retrieval or search software — Epocrates; HyperTox; Skyscape Rosen and Barkin's 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult; TechOnSoftware HazMatCE Pro (see all 14 examples)
- Medical software — MedDataSolutions Regist*r; MEDITECH software
- Office suite software — Microsoft Office
- Operating system software — Microsoft operating system
- Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Word processing software — Microsoft Word
Hot Technology — a technology requirement frequently included in employer job postings.
- Analgesic infusion sets or kits — Infusion sets
- Anti shock garments — Medical anti-shock trousers MAST; Pneumatic anti-shock garments PASG
- Artificial airway holders — Endotracheal ET tube holddown devices
- Automated external defibrillators AED or hard paddles — Semiautomated or automatic external defibrillators AED
- Blood collection needle — Venoject needles
- Blood pressure recording units — Blood pressure recorders
- Bullet proof vests — Bulletproof vests
- Butterfly needles — Scalp vein needles
- Cardiac output CO monitoring units or accessories — Portable cardiac monitors
- Cardiac pacemaker generator or cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemaker CRT-P — External pacers
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation CPR protective shields or masks — Pocket masks with one-way valves
- Chest tube kit — Pleural decompression kits
- Desktop computers
- Electrocardiography EKG transmitter or telemetry or accessories — Telemetry units
- Electrocardiography EKG units
- Emergency medical service intravenous IV kit — Intraosseous kits
- Emergency medical services cervical or extrication collars — Emergency medical services cervical collars
- Emergency medical services head immobilizers — Head immobilization devices
- Emergency medical services obstetrics kits — Obstetrical OB kits
- Emergency medical services suction units or accessories — Airway suction units; Battery-powered portable suction units; Fixed-suction equipment
- Emergency medical services tourniquets or clamps — Tourniquets
- Emergency medical services tracheal tube or cricothyrotomy kits — Cricothyrotomy kits
- Emergency medical services triage tags — Triage tags
- Emergency response litters or stretchers or accessories — Multi-level wheeled cots; Stair chairs; Stretchers
- Emergency resuscitator or aspirator kits — Resuscitation devices
- Endotracheal tubes — Endotracheal ET tubes
- Esophageal tubes — Esophageal tracheal airway devices
- Extremity restraints — Limb restraints
- Finger ring removers — Ring cutters
- Flow sensors or regulators or components — Wall-mounted oxygen regulators
- Glass cutters — Center punches/glass hammers
- Glucose monitors or meters — Glucometers
- Hacksaw — Hacksaws
- Hypodermic injection apparatus or accessories — Epi-pens; Preload syringes
- Hypodermic needle — Needles
- Intravenous infusion pumps for general use — Intravenous IV pressure infusers; Intravenous IV pumps
- Intravenous or arterial arm boards — Long arm boards; Short arm boards
- Intravenous or arterial cannulas or accessories — Intravenous IV cannulas
- Intravenous or arterial tubing adapters or connectors or locks or caps or protectors — Saline locks
- Intubation forceps — Adult Magill forceps
- Intubation gauges or guides — Esophageal intubation detection devices
- Intubation stylets — Adult stylets
- Laryngoscopes or accessories — Curved adult blades; Laryngoscopes; Straight adult blades; Straight pediatric blades (see all 5 examples)
- Medical acoustic stethoscope or accessory — Mechanical stethoscopes
- Medical aspiration or irrigation syringes — Bulb syringes
- Medical gas cylinders or related devices — Fixed-oxygen equipment; Portable oxygen equipment
- Medical nasal cannulae — Oxygen nasal cannulae
- Medical oxygen masks or parts — Adult non-rebreather oxygen masks; Child oxygen masks; Infant oxygen masks
- Medical suction cannulas or tubes or accessories — Medical suction catheters; Suction tubing
- Medical syringe without needle — Syringes
- Multiparameter vital sign unit or accessories — Monitors
- Nasopharyngeal tubes — Nasopharyngeal airways
- Nebulizer or accessories — Nebulizers
- Needleless intravenous injection syringe set or injection cannula — Interlink syringe cannulas
- Needleless vial or bag withdrawal cannulas or adapters or decanters — Vial access cannulas
- Non vacuum blood collection tubes or containers — Blood tubes
- Notebook computers
- Orthopedic splint systems — Cardboard splints; Rigid splints; Splints
- Oxygen insufflator or its accessories — Transtracheal jet insufflators
- Patient carbon dioxide detectors — Patient CO2 monitors
- Patient stabilization or fall prevention devices or accessories — Patient restraints
- Peripheral intravenous catheters for general use — Catheters
- Pharyngeal airways or airways kits — Oropharyngeal airways
- Pry bars
- Pulse oximeter units — Oximeters
- Respiratory aspirator products or accessories — Meconium aspirators
- Restraint vests and jackets — Straitjacket
- Resuscitation masks or accessories — Bag valve mask BVM resuscitators; Valve mask resuscitators
- Sledge hammer — Sledgehammers
- Spine boards — Extrication devices; Full-spine immobilization devices; Half-spine immobilization devices; Spinal immobilization equipment
- Surgical scalpels or knives or blades or trephines or accessories — Scalpels
- Torso and belt restraints — Restraint belts
- Traction splint sets — Lower extremity traction devices with ankle hitches; Traction splints
- Two way radios
- Wheel chocks — Chock blocks
Detailed Work Activities
- Inform medical professionals regarding patient conditions and care.
- Treat medical emergencies.
- Analyze patient data to determine patient needs or treatment goals.
- Collaborate with healthcare professionals to plan or provide treatment.
- Drive vehicles to transport individuals or equipment.
- Interact with patients to build rapport or provide emotional support.
- Maintain inventory of medical supplies or equipment.
- Maintain medical equipment or instruments.
- Maintain medical or professional knowledge.
- Monitor patient progress or responses to treatments.
- Position patients for treatment or examination.
- Record patient medical histories.
- Sterilize medical equipment or instruments.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics.
Employment data for Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics.
Industry data for Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics.
|Median wages (2020)||$17.62 hourly, $36,650 annual|
|Employment (2019)||265,200 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Faster than average (5% to 7%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||17,400|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.
Job Openings on the Web
Sources of Additional Information
Disclaimer: Sources are listed to provide additional information on related jobs, specialties, and/or industries. Links to non-DOL Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement.