Summary Report for:
33-1091.00 - First-Line Supervisors of Security Workers
Directly supervise and coordinate activities of security workers and security guards.
This title represents an occupation for which data collection is currently underway.
- Advise employees in handling problems or resolving complaints from customers, tenants, detainees, or other persons.
- Apprehend or evict trespassers, rule violators, or other security threats from the premises.
- Assign security personnel to posts or patrols.
- Call police or fire departments in cases of emergency, such as fire, bomb threats, and presence of unauthorized persons.
- Develop and document security procedures, policies, or standards.
- Explain company policies and procedures to staff using oral or written communication.
- Inspect and adjust security equipment to ensure it is operational or to detect evidence of tampering.
- Investigate disturbances on the premises, such as security alarms, altercations, and suspicious activity.
- Log items distributed to persons, such as keys and key cards.
- Monitor and authorize entry of employees, visitors, or other persons.
- Monitor closed-circuit television cameras.
- Monitor the behavior of security employees to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, or procedures.
- Order materials or supplies, such as keys, uniforms, and badges.
- Patrol the premises to prevent or detect intrusion, protect property, or preserve order.
- Recruit, interview, and hire security personnel.
- Schedule training or drills for emergencies, such as fires, bombs, and other threats.
- Screen individuals and belongings to prevent passage of prohibited materials using walkthrough detectors, wands, or bag searches.
- Secure entrances and exits by locking doors and gates.
- Train security personnel on protective procedures, first aid, fire safety, and other duties.
- Write and present department budgets to upper management or other stakeholders.
- Write reports documenting observations made while on patrol.
Detailed Work Activities
- Operate surveillance equipment to detect suspicious or illegal activities.
- Assign duties or work schedules to employees.
- Block physical access to restricted areas.
- Communicate with management or other staff to resolve problems.
- Conduct eligibility or selection interviews.
- Conduct health or safety training programs.
- Develop organizational methods or procedures.
- Document operational activities.
- Document operational procedures.
- Explain regulations, policies, or procedures.
- Hire personnel.
- Inspect equipment to ensure safety or proper functioning.
- Inspect facilities to ensure compliance with security or safety regulations.
- Investigate illegal or suspicious activities.
- Maintain operational records.
- Maintain surveillance of individuals or establishments.
- Manage human resources activities.
- Monitor access or flow of people to prevent problems.
- Monitor alarm systems.
- Monitor operations to ensure compliance with safety or security policies or regulations.
- Order materials, supplies, or equipment.
- Patrol properties to maintain safety.
- Prepare financial documents, reports, or budgets.
- Prepare investigation or incident reports.
- Prepare operational budgets.
- Prevent unauthorized individuals from entering restricted areas.
- Provide safety training.
- Record operational or production data.
- Recruit personnel.
- Report information to managers or other personnel.
- Request emergency personnel.
- Schedule instructional activities.
- Search individuals for illegal or dangerous items.
- Supervise employees.
- Train personnel to enhance job skills.
Wages & Employment Trends
Median wage data for Miscellaneous First-Line Supervisors, Protective Service Workers.
Employment data for Miscellaneous First-Line Supervisors, Protective Service Workers.
Industry data for Miscellaneous First-Line Supervisors, Protective Service Workers.
|Median wages (2020)||$25.31 hourly, $52,650 annual|
|Employment (2019)||85,700 employees|
|Projected growth (2019-2029)||Slower than average (1% to 2%)|
|Projected job openings (2019-2029)||7,800|
|Top industries (2019)|
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020 wage data and 2019-2029 employment projections . "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2019-2029). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement.